Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing & General Management
Schools:University of Michigan - Ross 2010
 Q47  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
CE. interesting.

i ask my CE friend for help on some Challenge Qs and he is incredibly pompous. He is studying for his PE exam and told me to figure it out myself. :shock:
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
@Kidderek & Emoryhopeful : Thank you guys...

@Emoryhopeful :
This is a dilemma for me. Since I am an older applicant (33) with a terrible undergrad GPA (2.70) I have some making up to do for shools I target. 730 would have been good without the complications stated above, but I believe Q50 and V42-44 is an attainable goal, and may yield a 760ish score...

Also, if true, in their own words, all 4 schools I target take only the highest of your GMATs unless you took the test a ridiculous number of times. If I could be sure of their sincerity, I'd re-take it in a heart beat, but honestly I do not know... The "no problem" approach is usually a mask used for political correctness. BTW,thank you for taking your time and sharing your opinion. I really appreciate it...

@bmwhype2: Not a common trait of CEs.... :-)

All the best
-MANYLANDER
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!!! Awesome score.
Would appreciate any input on verbal improvement, especially CR?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q780 V540
Send PM
[#permalink]
manylander,
Good, great score in 3 months of prep with Engg back goound.

If you think you will have good enough time for the apps after the re-take, I would say "re-take and nail it down". I believe you can do it more than 730.

BTN.. are these are different: Princeton and Princeton review. I see in the materials list of your post.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
@sevenplus: Quite honestly I did not do much for CR. It has been my strong course in verbal most of the time. I just solved the quetions available in the material and concentrated on the ones I missed. Most of my verbal study time was spent on SC. For CR, my recommendation would be to solve as many Qs as possible, and then immediately,say after 20-30 Qs, to go over your mistakes and evaluate the reasons.
This may help you zero in on your weaknesses. GMAT, especially 700+ GMAT is about weaknesses, not strengths. At least that is my take...
Thanks on the congrats!!!

p.s.There are many Qs also available at gmatter.biz...
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sarangadhar: Thanks for the congrats. I am leaning towards taking it again and hopefully doing better. After my study there is not much to learn but there is room for mastering what I learned especially through solving hard Qs. Plus I have the security net set at 730, which significantly reduces the test stress. I will visit my targeted schools within 2-3 weeks and will ask the opinions of current students and adcom members on the issue too.

As for Princeton vs Princeton Review, I intend to say Princeton Review for all cases...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats on the genius level score...

When you meet admissions committee, perhaps you can de-emphasize the low undergrad GPA which happened over 10 years ago by emphasizing your extensive experience which is more relevant and recent...

As for retaking it, you got nothing to lose. A higher GMAT might bring in some nice $cholarship$ :-D

As for tough Q problems... I got a high of 49Q on the GMATPrep and was gunning for 50 or higher and only got 48 on the real GMAT. Honestly, on my GMATs, there were some really unexpected math problems that my OG/GMATPrep/Kaplan/Princeton/Veritas practice materials didn't cover. You probably experienced soem similar surprisingly unusual problems.
Have you tried Bell Curves GMAT website? They have some free trial tough math problems and tips (and also an online course) that might be of value.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3421 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats man on a great score!

I'm also from CE background & i agree with u that the expectations from Quant is on little higher side............nyways, i wish u all the best in case u retake the test!
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
@Leftysidewinder:

Quote:
Honestly, on my GMATs, there were some really unexpected math problems that my OG/GMATPrep/Kaplan/Princeton/Veritas practice materials didn't cover. You probably experienced soem similar surprisingly unusual problems.

I 100% agree with this. Not only that they were definitely tougher, but also some Qs (3-5 of them) were markedly different from anything else I've seen. I think Pearson-Vue is upping their game in quant.

Quote:
Have you tried Bell Curves GMAT website? They have some free trial tough math problems and tips (and also an online course) that might be of value.

Not heard of it, but will definitely look it up.

Finally, thanks for the real warm congratulatory message. :-D :oops: :-D

MANYLANDER
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
@ singh_amit19

Good luck with your study. One advice, do not shy away from tough or time consuming questions even though likes of which are not on the OG11, or GMATPrep exams. They are out there...

Good luck and thanks for the congrats!

MANYLANDER
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Update :
1)For those of you who are curious about the time it takes to receive the official score : In my case just 6 days.

2)For non-native English speakers with good English who worry about AWA : Don't. I ended up getting a 6.0 with 1-2 hours of study of Princeton's verbal workbook.
I did not write a single essay before the test. Just make sure to give them the structure they look for (paragraphs, certain link words, conclusion etc)
Since one grader is a computer, structure helps..

Good luck to everyone while I am still dealing with the idea of a retake...

-MANYLANDER
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congratulations [#permalink]
Many Congratulations!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Send PM
Re: 730 (Q47,V44) [#permalink]
congrats
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Congrats on a great score. I don't have a huge mathematical background, so I have a lot of work to do. Good luck on your re-try.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
manylander,

If you only guessed on the last three Q questions, then that is unlikely to have brought down your Q score as much as you think. I was getting 50-51 Q in practice tests and on the real thing miscalculated my timing and ended up with about 6 questions left and 1 minute to go. I blindly guessed on these questions without even having time to read the questions. Still ended up with Q 49. One might argue that I may have been lucky and guessed right but I don't really think so. Almost 100% of the times when having to randomly guess on practice tests (meaning there was no time for intelligent guessing), I'd get the them wrong. Plus, before I ran out of time I was consitently getting super hard questions that I thought were at 51-level. So, in your case, provided you got all three questions wrong, I don't think this still brought your Q down by more than a point.
But I agree, you can still improve and do much better when you re-take it. I also got a 730 and plan to re-take. Not so much because I believe this will increase my chances of getting in significantly, but rather because I want to reach my true potential on this test.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
chineseburned wrote:
manylander,
But I agree, you can still improve and do much better when you re-take it. I also got a 730 and plan to re-take. Not so much because I believe this will increase my chances of getting in significantly, but rather because I want to reach my true potential on this test.

Chineseburned,

I am taking it again for exactly the same reason. I believe I have not reached my real level. Plus, if I can get a higher score there are potential benefits:

1) Many highly competitive firms are now officially or unofficially asking for your GMAT. A 750+ would look much nicer than a 730.
2) A real high GMAT score comes very handy if you plan on making some money by GMAT tutoring. Private or with a company...
3) It's good for 5 years, who knows, I might decide to go for a PhD one day and this one will already be in the bucket...
4) Inner peace ... :-D

Good luck!

Mine is scheduled for April 26th... I already have some studying under my belt. From now on it will be a casual, less intense, more targeted studying. It'll be "point and shoot", as opposed to "carpet bombing"... :snipersmile:
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts