Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 01:06 It is currently 13 May 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33627 [14]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33627 [3]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [2]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: During a recent semester at University X, 25 students enrolled in an [#permalink]
Kudos
1)No,since nothing is mentioned about the weights of each exam so we cannot confidently say that final exam and exam 2 have equal weights

2)Yes,when we arrange all the scores and see then the median is 81.5

3)Yes,For Exam 1 ,year 3 highest is 91 and lowest is 51 so the range is 91-51=40

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [3]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Re: During a recent semester at University X, 25 students enrolled in an [#permalink]
Kudos
Apt0810 wrote:
1)No,since nothing is mentioned about the weights of each exam so we cannot confidently say that final exam and exam 2 have equal weights

3)Yes,For Exam 1 ,year 3 highest is 91 and lowest is 51 so the range is 91-51=40

the first guess is right, but the explanation is wrong.

If last two exams: Ex1 and Final Ex were waited evenly, than Benson's final score ought to be >77
Due to reason that last 2 scores were 80 & 75, but in realty his score was downgraded = 76.75

Of. Explanation.

Let E1, E2, F, and S denote a student's Exam 1 score, Exam 2 score, final exam score, and final score, respectively. If F and E2 are equally weighted in computing the final score, then there must be constants x and y such that y + x + x = 1 and for each student, S = yE1 + xE2 + xF. Since y = 1 − 2x, it follows that S = (1 − 2x)E1 + xE2 + xF. Solving this last equation for x in terms of E1, E2, F, and S, x = S−E1/E2+F−2E1. In particular, it follows that this fractional expression must be constant.

For Abusuba—the first student listed in the table—E1 = 89, E2 = 87, F = 85, and S = 86.50, so S−E1/E2+F−2E1 = 86.50−89/87+85−2(89), which is equal to 512. For Ardanin—the second student listed in the table—E1 = 85, E2 = 83, F = 84, and S = 84.00, so S−E1/E2+F−2E1 = 84.00−85/83+84−2(85), which is equal to 13. Since 5/12 ≠ 1/3, the fractional expression is not constant. Therefore, F and E2 are not equally weighted in computing the final score.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.14
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
BLTN wrote:
Apt0810 wrote:

the first guess is right, but the explanation is wrong.

If last two exams: Ex1 and Final Ex were waited evenly, than Benson's final score ought to be >77
Due to reason that last 2 scores were 80 & 75, but in realty his score was downgraded = 76.75

Of. Explanation.

Let E1, E2, F, and S denote a student's Exam 1 score, Exam 2 score, final exam score, and final score, respectively. If F and E2 are equally weighted in computing the final score, then there must be constants x and y such that y + x + x = 1 and for each student, S = yE1 + xE2 + xF. Since y = 1 − 2x, it follows that S = (1 − 2x)E1 + xE2 + xF. Solving this last equation for x in terms of E1, E2, F, and S, x = S−E1/E2+F−2E1. In particular, it follows that this fractional expression must be constant.

For Abusuba—the first student listed in the table—E1 = 89, E2 = 87, F = 85, and S = 86.50, so S−E1/E2+F−2E1 = 86.50−89/87+85−2(89), which is equal to 512. For Ardanin—the second student listed in the table—E1 = 85, E2 = 83, F = 84, and S = 84.00, so S−E1/E2+F−2E1 = 84.00−85/83+84−2(85), which is equal to 13. Since 5/12 ≠ 1/3, the fractional expression is not constant. Therefore, F and E2 are not equally weighted in computing the final score.

I think the best way to quickly validate Q#1 is to consider an evenly spaced set of E1, E2 & F like that of Ardanin:

The Arithmetic mean of 83, 84 and 85(E2,F,E1) is clearly 84 which is equal to the final score. The only way it's possible is if either they are equally weighed or weighed more toward the average. For example: Average of the set 83,84,84,84,84,85 would still be 84 as adding average to a set would not change the average.

On the other hand, any number other than the value of mean is added to the set then the new mean will certainly deviate from the average. For example in case of E2&F weighing the same(Barring E1):

83, 83,84,84,85-> The Mean shifts from 84 to a number between 83 and 84.

Hence, this set alone proves that E2&F can't have equal weights without E1 carrying the same weight. Either way, we got both Yes and No, so we cannot determine the weights to compare.

AndrewN Was my thought process correct?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6885 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
AlphaCentauri4ly wrote:
I think the best way to quickly validate Q#1 is to consider an evenly spaced set of E1, E2 & F like that of Ardanin:

The Arithmetic mean of 83, 84 and 85(E2,F,E1) is clearly 84 which is equal to the final score. The only way it's possible is if either they are equally weighed or weighed more toward the average. For example: Average of the set 83,84,84,84,84,85 would still be 84 as adding average to a set would not change the average.

On the other hand, any number other than the value of mean is added to the set then the new mean will certainly deviate from the average. For example in case of E2&F weighing the same(Barring E1):

83, 83,84,84,85-> The Mean shifts from 84 to a number between 83 and 84.

Hence, this set alone proves that E2&F can't have equal weights without E1 carrying the same weight. Either way, we got both Yes and No, so we cannot determine the weights to compare.

AndrewN Was my thought process correct?

Watch those superlatives—here, best in best way. But yes, I agree that your thought process is sound. In keeping with my simple-is-often-better approach, I looked to the first few rows of data only to deduce that no, the exams in question cannot be given equal weight in computing the final score.

An easy way to work with averages is to set the average and then calculate the value above or below that average for each data point. In this manner, you can quickly work through a set to figure out the average, without working through lengthy calculations. For instance, say that I had the following set: {4, 9, 22, 28, 37}. Of course, I could add them up and divide by 5, or I could set the average to something that looked reasonable—say, 20—and then simply keep track of how far above or below my target average each number in the set was:

20 | {4, 9, 22, 28, 37}

20 | {-16, -11, +2, +8, +17}

Since the sum of the numbers in brackets is 0, I know the average is 20, right on the nose. What if I had selected 15?

15 | {4, 9, 22, 28, 37}

15 | {-11, -6, +7, +13, +22}

Note that the sum of the numbers in brackets is now +25. When I average this value by dividing by the five data points, I get +5. Thus, after correcting the estimate by adding 5, I get the true average: 15 + 5 = 20.

How does this relate to the question at hand? Well, we are given the final score, so we can set this value as our average. We can see quite clearly that the second row values will average to 84: {85, 83, 84} is {+1, -1, 0}. But if we check the top row, the picture comes out a bit different, relative to the final score of 86.5: {89, 87, 85}. That should be 87 (from {+2, 0, -2}) if everything carries equal weight. So, now the question becomes, how can the score be 86.5? If the latter two tests carry equal weight, they would average to 86, and then they would have to carry a lot more weight than Exam 1 to pull the final score down to 86.5. It seems more reasonable that that 86.5 comes from averaging the first two exam scores and then balancing that out with the final exam score: 89 and 87 average to 88; 88 and 85 average to 86.5 (1.5 from each value). This looked promising. Now, I just wanted proof by checking the third row:

67.75 | {65, 70, 68}

The average of 65 and 70 is 67.5 (2.5 from each value).

67.75 | {67.5, 68}

Yep, that one checks out. The average would be 67.75.

I know the process looks lengthy when I type everything out, but trust me, once the first domino fell, the answer followed soon after. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one. I have to run to my next lesson!

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi avigutman - was curious, how would you solve the 1st problem only. Solved the 2nd and 3rd . Feel free to include this riddle in the AMA if you think the class could perhaps benefit with this thinking

Different people have put in different strategies but i was curious how you would do it.

Not sure if my proof is 100 %

Quote:
-- Look at Abusaba specifically. If all the exams had equal weightage, the average is 87. But the average is 86.5.
Here are some inferences

(i) All 3 exams DONT have equal weightage.
(ii) Weightage of E1 + weightage of E2 is greater than 0 %. Otherwise aveage would be 85 and not 86.5

Quote:
(iii) 86.5 is more skewed towards the final exam. I think this prooves only

Weightage of Final > "Average" of the weights of E1 and E2

Not sure how to proove Weightage of E2 is unequal to Weightage of Final score however.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2244 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos