Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: I am so depressed: The University of Edinburgh - SUCKs [#permalink]
siamman wrote:
Just wanna mutter,

I was aiming to apply for PhD in Finance Program at Top school, but now I have no chance because of the irresponsible program director here.

The story is that, one of the course lecturer carelessly marked our paper and gived me only 57% for the assignment. I approached him asking what was wrong in my paper, and he replied me something really irrational. I then had a discussion with the program director showing to him that the course lecturer misunderstands the point. He saw my point, but said that my paper was suffered from my poor grammer and confirmed that the 57% is fair !!!

After requesting for the investigation for more than 3 months, I just figured out why the program director so much protects the course lecturer - HE IS DOING HIS PHD UNDER SUPERVISING OF THAT COURSE LECTURER!! Obviously, this is a kind of conflict of interest.

Dont take this the wrong way but.... If your paper was written like your post, I hate to say it, but he had a point. Your writing style is full of grammatical errors. It is not anywhere the quality I would expect of a Masters student, much less of a PHD student. Furthermore, if you conveyed your position in the same manner you have conveyed it here - emotionally and without any real supporting arguments - I'm not suprised he didnt really budge.

That being said, I agree there is a conflict of interest - so make your case to the Dean. Otherwise, accept that a single bad grade on a single essay is hardly going to stop you from pursuing your goals.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I know my writing skill is not so good, but that is not the problem.

At first, when I approached the course lecturer, he said I got the low mark because I did "X" wrong. But later I proved that my "X" is not wrong. He then refused to discuss with me anymore, claiming that he had no time.

Later, I approached the programme director and explained to him the "X". He then replied to me that whether or no "X" is wrong, I still deserve 57% because my grammar is poor <--- Do you think this make sence???

This is why I am so angry. The course lecturer said himself that he punished my paper from "X", how come my mark is still the same when I prove that "X" is nonsence?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just go talk to the Dean....
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]