Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT Problem Involving Primes [#permalink]
Enola,

E is the correct answer, however, I think there's a mistake with your method.

h(100) is the product of all even integers from 2 to 100, not the sum of even integers. So, h(100) + 1 would not equal 2551. For example, just look at the product of the last two integers in h(100) -- 100 and 98 -- the product of which is 9800, a number larger than 2551.

I do think, however, that your method has some promise. Let me see if I can get somewhere with it.

Thanks,
Artis
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I'm having a little trouble with the following problem. I'm looking for the best method to approach it, but have been looking at it for a while and can not come up with anything.

The only explanation I've heard for this problem is that the resulting number is "very large" and so the answer has to be (e), which is not a very satisfying explanation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Artis

For every positive integer n, h(n) is defined to be the product of all the even integers from 2 to n inclusive. If p is the smallest prime factor of h(100) + 1, then p is:

- between 2 and 10
- between 10 and 20
- between 20 and 30
- between 30 and 40
- greater than 40

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you add 1 to a number, the new number can not have any factors greater than 1 in common with the other number. Since you are multiplying every even number from 2 - 100 together, that eliminates any even number from 2 - 100 and all the factors of those numbers. Any prime factor less than 40, multiplied by 2 will equal an even number less than 100 and hence one of the factors of h(100). The prime numbers less the 40 are as follows 2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41, multiply those by 2 and you have factors of h(100), each of which can be broken down into 2 X that prime number. Therefore, the answer has to be E.

What do you guys think? I am about 3 beers deep and coming off of 6 hours of study, so I could be totally off with this.... but it sounds great to me right now :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Yeah sorry I forgot about the +1.....disregard my stupid answer
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, Andrew, that's the best explanation I've heard so far.

Artis
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
2*4*6*...*100 = (2*1)*(2*2)*...*(2*50) = 2^50 * (1*2*3*...*50)

therefore h(100)+1 = (2^50)*1*2*3*...*50 + 1 so it is not divisible by any number between 2 and 50 (inclusive). this means that its minimal factor must be more than 50, which is more than 40. e is correct.

hope it is better explanation than just "large number".

amit.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts