Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

How many applications did/will you submit?

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Whats a shotgun approach?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
its like shooting a shotgun...a bunch of bullets fly out almost in random directions and you just pray one of them hits. so you are applying to a bunch of schools just hoping you get into one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Looking at admissions411 (probably not the best representation most of the time) there are a suprising number of people who apply to H/S/W and then 3 or 4 other schools. I couldnt imagine doing 7 or 8 apps. I am aiming at 3 for R1 and then going from there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I applied to two and am on the WL since R1 at both. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have applied to three or four in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My original plan was 2xR1 and 5xR2.
Ended up doing only 3xR2 (run out of time / steam).

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I applied to 4 schools and this seemed like the perfect number to me. Of course, I fantasized about dropping in a late application (#5) just so I would have the opportunity to live in California again during school.

I think between 3-5 would be optimal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think I need to elaborate my statement.

If you can put 100% on each and every apps, go ahead and do 7+.
However, on average, doing more than 7-8 apps without sacrificing the quality takes tremendous time/effort.

I recommend 08 applicants to focus on the school search early on and only pick the schools that you would not mind going.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did 10, but didn't wait for decisions from all of them. In retrospect, I probably should have done fewer. My first few applications were clearly not as good as the later one. The learning experience of doing applications helped me to produce better applications later on, so in a sense that worked out pretty well. On the other hand, I probably could have just worked harder on the earlier applications and produced 4-5 really strong ones instead of 2-3 weak ones and more strong ones near the end.

I think your target number should depend on how much time you have, how early you get started, how good a writer you are and how much you might improve with practice. I think you must also consider the type of applicant that you are. If you are a typical applicant (in terms of GPA, GMAT, experience, age, etc.) then applying to 3-4 schools within your range should yield some success. If you are not a typical applicant or have substantial strengths and weaknesses, you might need to throw more out there to see which schools like what you have to offer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Did 5. All in the first round.

My backups were for the second round but fortunately didn't require to use them. Also, I don't think I could have done justice to the 2nd round applications.

Lost steam after giving more than 100% to those 5 applications.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Only one, and it was a stretch school. I did have two other back up applications ready (partially completed) but never followed through after getting an admit.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have chosen three schools: one dream, one stretch-fighting chance, and one safety. Problem was, I was a perfectionist and invested far too much energy into that one application (100 hrs+) thereby missing the R2 deadline for a dream school. Nonetheless, I am more than content with the outcome.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As GMATT73, only one too :).... HEC :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm planning on 3-4.

Try to split them between R1 and R2
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I applied to 6.

Considering the volatility of the process I would recommend that people apply to at least six, maybe eight being ideal.

If you don't mind waiting a year (in the event you get dinged across the board) then it probably isn't necessary to apply to so many, but if you are absolutely set on going this upcoming year, then I wouldn't leave anything to chance and apply to a bunch of schools because there are no guarantees where you'll get in.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
WOW, I am suprised that there are so many people with 6+...I wonder how many of those are 6 and how many are the +. Its impressive for people to do that many, looking at the number of essays a lot of the top schools require doing 10 applications has to have the time requirements of a fulltime job.

It seems like there has been a lot of talk about the applications being way up this year but the total number of GMATs taken being pretty flat. It appears that the increase in applications could just be a result of people applying to a lot more schools than in years past due to the sometimes randomness of acceptances and the people who apply as a shot in the dark at some very top schools. Guess you can't get in if you dont apply so why not have some real reaches.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Did 3. Originally planned 8. Spent far more time than I ever expected on the first 3 and completely burnt out. My advice: start with the schools you want the most.

(Some people will tell you that you should start with a "throw away" school because your first app will inevitably suck. I don't necessary disagree with this advice, even though I didn't follow it)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I applied to 6.

Considering the volatility of the process I would recommend that people apply to at least six, maybe eight being ideal.

That was my thought process and I did 8. In retrospect, some of the applications now seem unnecessary but I'm over it. The last few applications required very little additional work because I had written most types of essays already.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I applied to 4, but had completed 4.75.

I like my approach: one safety, three probables/possibles and one stretch (this one being the one that didn't quite make it to the submission stage). All were schools I would have attended. I think it makes sense to apply across a range of clusters: I know of enough applicants who didn't get in anywhere except the saftey school -- no shame in that, but they're probably happy they had that option. I definitely was not willing to wait another year.

Here's what I am peeved about: I REALLY wish I had applied to that stretch school (Stanford). An enormous stretch, obviously, but now I'm saying "What if?" Don't get me wrong -- I'm thrilled with the outcome I had. I just wish I knew how I would have stacked up.

I think my advice on this: only apply to schools that you believe you really would attend. And have a solid understanding of your profile and how you might (generally) stack up. I think some people overshoot and wind up disappointed (if only because of the volatility of the process). And I think some undershoot.

Oh lord, and give yourself LOTS of time. I whipped out 4 applications in 4 or 5 weeks. This was hell. I would have had an extra month, but ended up having to take the GMAT again.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2