Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thank you for your response! I do have a question about your comment on #1. So if all the choices I listed in the top 15 b-schools are only possible/maybe for my chances to get in, what can I do to increase those chances?

Are my chances for Stanford and Columbia "minimal" because that's the case for most applicants (unless they truly did something out of this world) or is it specifically something in my profile? I would love to know to see how I can increase my chances of getting in.

After reading what the top b-schools are looking for, I feel that I have the right background (both quantitative and qualitative) to be competitive at the Stanford/Columbia, and a "likely" for Haas/UCLA/Stern, as long as I emphasize the right things, write good essays, and sell myself correctly. It's definitely a bit surprising to hear that my chances for Stanford/Columbia are "minimal" and only "unlikely" for Haas, which is somewhat my backup school.

Would love to read more details about how you came to these conclusions and get some constructive criticism.

Thank you!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak,

You appear to lack formal or unusually strong leadership in your worklife, and your overall profile, while strong, is not terribly unusual. There's not much 'wow' factor, just a lot of solid to good credentials. Stanford likes the 'wow' types. It is true, however, that I consider the vast majority of people to have a minimal chance at Stanford. A very small subset of applicants immediately strike me as having a decent chance. Of course, some of the people with a minimal chance do get in.

As to what you can do to enhance your chances, you can address the concerns I mentioned above. To get more specific than that I would want to get on a client-consultant basis.

Best of luck,
--Paul

kryzak wrote:
thank you for your response! I do have a question about your comment on #1. So if all the choices I listed in the top 15 b-schools are only possible/maybe for my chances to get in, what can I do to increase those chances?

Are my chances for Stanford and Columbia "minimal" because that's the case for most applicants (unless they truly did something out of this world) or is it specifically something in my profile? I would love to know to see how I can increase my chances of getting in.

After reading what the top b-schools are looking for, I feel that I have the right background (both quantitative and qualitative) to be competitive at the Stanford/Columbia, and a "likely" for Haas/UCLA/Stern, as long as I emphasize the right things, write good essays, and sell myself correctly. It's definitely a bit surprising to hear that my chances for Stanford/Columbia are "minimal" and only "unlikely" for Haas, which is somewhat my backup school.

Would love to read more details about how you came to these conclusions and get some constructive criticism.

Thank you!

kry
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Paul for the more detailed explanation. I'll definitely give you a PM if I decide to go the consultant route!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Thanks Paul for the more detailed explanation. I'll definitely give you a PM if I decide to go the consultant route!

You're welcome.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
BTW, just received your book from Amazon today, looking forward to reading it! =)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also bought his book (Reading it for the second time already). The book is just great. Very insightful for getting through such a tough competition (Specially in our demographics)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
true that. I think the books have been helping a lot in formulating what to put in my application. I got Paul's essay book, and three MBA app books (Mountaks, ABCs, and 88 Tips). If I read through all of those, and with the help of others here, I should be able to at least be competitive for the schools I apply to.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think too much information is distracting. May I suggest that you stick to Montauk and Paul Bodine's books and forget the rest.
kryzak wrote:
true that. I think the books have been helping a lot in formulating what to put in my application. I got Paul's essay book, and three MBA app books (Mountaks, ABCs, and 88 Tips). If I read through all of those, and with the help of others here, I should be able to at least be competitive for the schools I apply to.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
that could be true, but I have the books already, and they're all very short (except for Montauk's). I like the "Getting an Edge" because it gives more "insider insight". 88 Tips is just a good way to do a check list. and Montauk is great as an in depth review. They each have their merits, and thus are highly recommended in this forum by many people.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]