GMAT Quantitative Chat

GMAT Data Insight Chat

MBA Chat

go back
Data Insights (DI) Question of the Day 0 members online out of 82188
dots
Forum discussion
Chat members
I remember the question as welk but I can’t sgare it here. Sorry but I gave exam around two weeks ago and had two such questions
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
great please send an example
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
will believe then
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
It’s up to you to believe or not. I reported what I got and there is nothing for me to prove. Good luck
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
to you too
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Why don’t believe there being verbal ds
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Some experienced test taker who really understands the test and knows how to handle it with some maturity can comment on it.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Yeah we need managers here
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
yes you are right. Let @chetan handle this query. Thanks!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Hi
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Hello everyone,
Lot of dscn on Verbal DS. Comments on the query raised
1.Yes, Verbal DS are a part of GMAT Focus. But, these are part of a larger pool of DS questions and you may not necessarily encounter one in your official test.
2.Difficulty: They may sound problematic initially but can be solved logically.
3.Type of questions: Similar to DS. You could be given a para on ranks in a class or seating arrangement in a class and then asked whether A is sitting next to B or whether A is ahead of B in ranking. Then, the two statements may give you some restrictions that could or may not get you closer to your answer.
4.Are they new?: Yes, they are new in GMAT. But, one could see these type of questions in Indian CAT exams even 20 years back. In GMAT, the level of course is slightly easier. So, they are doable and nothing to worry about
5.We should be able to get you some good quality questions to practice.

Hope it helps you! :)
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
WOW!!! THANKS!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Thank you
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chetan2u wrote:
Hello everyone, Lot of dscn on Verbal DS. Comments on the query raised 1. Yes, Verbal DS are a part of GMAT Focus. But, these are part of a larger pool of DS questions and you may not necessarily encounter one in your official test. 2. Difficulty: They may sound problematic initially but can be solved logically. 3. Type of questions: Similar to DS. You could be given a para on ranks in a class or seating arrangement in a class and then asked whether A is sitting next to B or whether A is ahead of B in ranking. Then, the two statements may give you some restrictions that could or may not get you closer to your answer. 4. Are they new?: Yes, they are new in GMAT. But, one could see these type of questions in Indian CAT exams even 20 years back. In GMAT, the level of course is slightly easier. So, they are doable and nothing to worry about 5. We should be able to get you some good quality questions to practice. Hope it helps you! :)

Do you know if these are part of the official material or is this showing up in the actual exam only?
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chetan2u wrote:
Hello everyone, Lot of dscn on Verbal DS. Comments on the query raised 1. Yes, Verbal DS are a part of GMAT Focus. But, these are part of a larger pool of DS questions and you may not necessarily encounter one in your official test. 2. Difficulty: They may sound problematic initially but can be solved logically. 3. Type of questions: Similar to DS. You could be given a para on ranks in a class or seating arrangement in a class and then asked whether A is sitting next to B or whether A is ahead of B in ranking. Then, the two statements may give you some restrictions that could or may not get you closer to your answer. 4. Are they new?: Yes, they are new in GMAT. But, one could see these type of questions in Indian CAT exams even 20 years back. In GMAT, the level of course is slightly easier. So, they are doable and nothing to worry about 5. We should be able to get you some good quality questions to practice. Hope it helps you! :)

Thank you for your response. Awesome!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin

playthegame wrote:
Thank you

chetan2u wrote:

Do you know if these are part of the official material or is this showing up in the actual exam only?

@playthegame ­Yes, you can find 11 new Verbal/Logic DS among the 43 "hard" DS in the OG 2024 online question bank accessed at mba.com. These are not in the physical book. They were added to the online question bank sometime between June and October 2023.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Data Sufficiency Butler: April 2024
April 30DS 1DS 2
­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
The month ends with a new MSR from GMAT Club.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/company-z-is ... 29226.html
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
GMATCoachBen wrote:
poojaarora1818 wrote:
GMATCoachBen wrote:
@poojaarora1818 Regarding "Verbal" DS:

All 6 score reports from actual tests I reviewed had 3 of the 8 DS be "Non-Math Related".  

In contrast, the 7 practice tests I reviewed (#1 and #2) had only 5 or 6 DS, and all were "Math-Related".­

However, a student got 2/3 and 3/3 Non-Math Related DS wrong on 2 exams, and still scored 100%-ile on DS, with the other Math-Related ones correct, which suggests that those Non-Math questions were Experimental. So, it’s possible that, at least at the moment, the Non-Math are more likely to be Experimental.

Out of the 43 "hard" DS in the OG 2024 online question bank accessed at mba.com, 11 are new and are Verbal/Logic DS. These are not in the physical book.

I’m hoping that we will see more Verbal DS questions released at the end of May in the new OG.

Here’s an example score report:

DI Breakdown on Actual Test:

• 8 DS (3 are "Non-Math Related")
  • 5 Graphs and Tables (likely 3 Graphs and 2 Tables, since every practice test had more graphs than tables, but I’d be curious if anyone remembers this split from their actual test)
  • 4 Two-Part Analysis
  • 3 Multi-Source Reasoning
 ­

­GMATCoachBen Thank you so much for your valuable feedback, Ben! If, I correctly remember some of the Target Test Prep students mentioned the same thing in their debriefs they had experienced 2-3 Verbal DS ques which were logic-based reasoning or non-maths ques on their tests. But were those questions categorized under experimental or non-experimental hard to say?

­@poojaarora1818  Hard to say. I only have that small sample size I mentioned above, which suggested that the 5 Non-Math DS mistakes a student made on 2 tests were experimental, since she still scored 100%-ile on DS. It does make some sense that GMAC might want to test those questions more, since they’re a new type. And even if this trend is true now, it could change in the future.

­GMATCoachBen Thanks again for your response. Yes, I agree with this part GMAC might want to test Non-Maths DS ques as an experimental one, as they are new to us. This does make complete sense to me. Thanks for the clarification and addressing my doubts with patience, Ben!­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Lokster wrote:
Can’t see image, just an array of numbers. Is everyone else seeing the same?

Can you pls check the "Forum Discussion" right at the top of the page.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Data Sufficiency Butler: May 2024
May 1DS 1DS 2

­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chetan2u, But the Pic can be viewed under "forum Discussion" .
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
poojaarora1818 wrote:
chetan2u, But the Pic can be viewed under "forum Discussion" .

Yes, that’s correct, and that is why I have mentioned Chat group...
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chetan2u wrote:
Yes, that’s correct, and that is why I have mentioned Chat group...

Oops! I missed the word "Chat" . Yes, you are correct that the pic is not formatted in the chat group. My apologies!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Oops! I missed the word "Chat" . Yes, you are correct that the pic is not formatted in the chat group. My apologies!

:please: :)
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin

download.png

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Here is that image again. Hope now it’s visible. IT was too big for the chat.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Bunuel wrote:
Here is that image again. Hope now it’s visible. IT was too big for the chat.

I think that you mistakenly deleted the whole response to my query answered by Ben. But anyway I can still view it under the Forum Discussion tab.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 2DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chetan2u, I have a quick ques are these DI butler ques from the official ones? Please provide clarification on my doubt.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
poojaarora1818, almost all are GMAT CLUB questions except very few that are from OG and 2-3 from focus. The source is mentioned is mentioned in the first column incase it is official.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chetan2u wrote:
poojaarora1818, almost all are GMAT CLUB questions except very few that are from OG and 2-3 from focus. The source is mentioned is mentioned in the first column incase it is official.

chetan2u, Thank you so much for the clarification.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 3DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Anyone have any strategies for Data Insight questions, specifically multi source reasoning and two part analysis
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Is rest of the official guide review for data insight questions all uploaded?

The table and msr were pending
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Can anyone please share the link to the post with distribution of quant topics in GMAT FE.. I remember bb had posted but cannot find it
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
AnuK2222 wrote:
Can anyone please share the link to the post with distribution of quant topics in GMAT FE.. I remember bb had posted but cannot find it

Search for GMAT focus syllabus … You can also limited to a certain author if the searches crapping out.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 6DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
hi, How can i track which all questions i have solved and which one is pending in gmat club questions bank
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
shilpitiwari wrote:
hi, How can i track which all questions i have solved and which one is pending in gmat club questions bank

If you take the timer, questions that you have solved will have a little time icon in front of them in the forum view.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
I had a quick question on a particular question
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin

gmat club answer.PNG

Gmat club Q.PNG

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
I don’t understand how 3rd question is wrong
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin

Gmat club Q.PNG

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Jayam12 wrote:

Can you explain what exactly do you think the 3rd part means? Or what exactly are you looking for in the table to answer the 3rd part?
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Jayam12 wrote:

It seems like a tricky question. The first time I try to solve it, I think I made the same mistake you did. I don’t know if it is the same mistake but I made a mistake 😂

I looked at the nine minutes in the beginning and then noticed the six minutes and I noticed that would seem to be some people spent six minutes downloading the update even though they were not within three minutes of each other.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
I assumed that since there were people who were within three minutes of each other who spent six minutes and people who were not within minutes of each other who spent six minutes then the answer would be “no”
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
however, if you examine all of the six minute downloads, all of them were for people who were within three minutes of someone else. It doesn’t have to be only three minutes down or three minutes up. It could be in any direction and based on that the answer is indeed “Yes”
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
tricky question
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
hi
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Hloo
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
has anyone done this DI question from mock 3?

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 16.48.42.png

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
and has a good explanation on why the second dropdown is none?
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
@Bunuel
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
mecapo21 wrote:
has anyone done this DI question from mock 3?

Can you please share all values in each of the dropdowns? Thank you!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
mecapo21 wrote:
and has a good explanation on why the second dropdown is none?

because of the 5 leaders in party A none have more than 50% approval from ALL THREE parties. all three parties would be the key here.
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
I can give a more thorough explanation but let me know if that helps
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
mecapo21, look at those 5 and see other 2 party ratings under the same leader you will see non of had 50%+ from both B & C
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Jayam12 wrote:

if you just filter out time of update you will notice those who had downloads within 3mins successively have time more than 3
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
mecapo21, I posted that question here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/nation-x-is- ... 29428.html Please let me know if the dropdown values were different. Thank you!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
dropwdown values are correct
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
I can see what I was doing wrong. Thanks!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 7DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Hi, could someone explain me or pin me the solution of this Data sufficiency question ? I struggle to understand the solution

the daily profit, P, for selling x units of a certain item at a sporting goods store can be moddeled by the function P(x) = -a(x- b/2a)^2 + (b)^2 /4a + c, where a and b are positive constant and c nonnegative constant. what is the maximum daily profit for selling this item?

1) b^2 + 4ac = 52ac/3

2) c = 360
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
khaos3787 wrote:
Hi, could someone explain me or pin me the solution of this Data sufficiency question ? I struggle to understand the solution

the daily profit, P, for selling x units of a certain item at a sporting goods store can be moddeled by the function P(x) = -a(x- b/2a)^2 + (b)^2 /4a + c, where a and b are positive constant and c nonnegative constant. what is the maximum daily profit for selling this item?

1) b^2 + 4ac = 52ac/3

2) c = 360

­Can you please share the source of the question? Also, the screenshot would be nice. Thank you!
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
khaos3787 wrote:
Hi, could someone explain me or pin me the solution of this Data sufficiency question ? I struggle to understand the solution the daily profit, P, for selling x units of a certain item at a sporting goods store can be moddeled by the function P(x) = -a(x- b/2a)^2 + (b)^2 /4a + c, where a and b are positive constant and c nonnegative constant. what is the maximum daily profit for selling this item? 1) b^2 + 4ac = 52ac/3 2) c = 360

The question is discussed here

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-daily-pr ... 27551.html
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Bunuel wrote:
­Can you please share the source of the question? Also, the screenshot would be nice. Thank you!

It’s from one of the gmat official mocks
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Nullbyte wrote:
khaos3787 wrote:
Hi, could someone explain me or pin me the solution of this Data sufficiency question ? I struggle to understand the solution the daily profit, P, for selling x units of a certain item at a sporting goods store can be moddeled by the function P(x) = -a(x- b/2a)^2 + (b)^2 /4a + c, where a and b are positive constant and c nonnegative constant. what is the maximum daily profit for selling this item? 1) b^2 + 4ac = 52ac/3 2) c = 360

The question is discussed here

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-daily-pr ... 27551.html

Bunuel wrote:
Can you please share the source of the question? Also, the screenshot would be nice. Thank you!

It’s from one of the gmat official mocks

Private
Delete
Pin
Jayam12 wrote:

Idk if this is still a doubt or not but based on what i understand if you sort the table by time and if the difference between 2 "time of update"s is less than 3 mins then the length of download is always more than 3 mins for those people.

Think of it as if u get the most of your wifi speed when you alone are on the network however if everyone around you is using the wifi too then the speed drops and your download slows down.

I apologize for the analogy in advance xD
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 8DS 1DS 2

­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Any update on the pending data insight review questions? 😓
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Join DI Series EP4 - Mastering Multi-Source Reasoning Questions https://gmatclub.com/forum/redirect.php?id=zxilh3w8ve

MAY8-EGMT-MSR650.jpg

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 9DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
hello. is there any way i can subscribe for DI question of the day and get it in my email?
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
New Table questions from OG DI Review posted in the following links. https://gmatclub.com/forum/di-butler-425510.html https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-entire-l ... 27334.html
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
is this one simply try and error ? or is there a specific method ?

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 10.02.25.png

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 10DS 1DS 2
­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
khaos3787 wrote:

The question has E written all over. The variables are not restricted so they can assume any value and answer could be yes or May not be yes. For any value of t, one could get any answer. Say t=1, so is R=a+b+c = 0? R=1-3+2=0..yes a=1, b=-3 and C=2, while R=3+1+2=6..no a=3, b=1 and C=2… E
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
khaos3787 wrote:

That question is discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rate-r-a ... 23297.html
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
khaos3787 wrote:

­The rate R at which a chemical reaction in a certain industrial process proceeds is a function of time t and is given by \(R = at^3 + bt^2 + c\), where a, b, and c are constants and t > 0. Is there a positive value of t for which R = 0 ?

If we leave all that mambo jumbo out, the question essentially asks whether \(at^3 + bt^2 + c = 0\), has a solution for t, where t > 0.

(1) a > b

If all three constants are positive and t is positive, then \(at^3 + bt^2 + c\) becomes the sum of three positive values and cannot equal 0. So, in this case, no value of positive t would satisfy \(at^3 + bt^2 + c = 0\).

However, in other cases, for example, if a = 0, b = -1, and c = 1, the equation becomes t^2 = 1, which has a positive t satisfying it (t = 1).

Not sufficient.

(2) c > 0.

Similarly, we can deduce the insufficiency of this statement.

(1)+(2) Combining the statements, we still lack sufficient information. Again, we can consider the cases:

If all three constants are positive and t is positive, then \(at^3 + bt^2 + c\) becomes the sum of three positive values and cannot equal 0. So, in this case, no value of positive t would satisfy \(at^3 + bt^2 + c = 0\).

However, in other cases, for example, if a = 0, b = -1, and c = 1, the equation becomes t^2 = 1, which has a positive t satisfying it (t = 1).

Not sufficient.

Answer: E.­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
BottomJee wrote:
jurgenklopp wrote:
how much are you guys scoring in mocks...?

­Hey - sorry for my curiosity but how much did you get in the final GMAT exam? If I may ask?
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Hello! Can someone help me solve this question?

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 4.16.25 PM.png

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
avi.kh wrote:

E?
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
avi.kh wrote:

Check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-240-c ... l#p3395503
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
E
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 13DS 1DS 2
­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 14DS 1DS 2

­
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 15DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 16DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
Hello, can someone check on question B ? https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-graph-be ... 49517.html I am not sure if my understanding is wrong :(. Thank you
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
RolyGMAT wrote:
Hello, can someone check on question B ? https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-graph-be ... 49517.html I am not sure if my understanding is wrong :(. Thank you

Check out the pic.

73DFA260-84AB-4B5B-8BC5-EDB88E6C0237.png

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
RolyGMAT wrote:

E6DF1189-DFE3-48B4-8731-944DEABFD9EC.png

chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
RolyGMAT wrote:

You are correct. The question should have been more specific on what does the column on right represent
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
May 17DS 1DS 2
chevron down
Private
Delete
Pin
How can this iba program?
chevron down