Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 03:12 It is currently 20 May 2024, 03:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

IMD vs SDA

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: IMD vs SDA !! URGENT !! [#permalink]
admitStreet wrote:
elalemsanane wrote:
­Hello, everyone!

I have postponed deciding until the last minute and now here we are!!  I appreciate it if you share your experience or advice with me.

I've been admitted to IMD and SDA Bocconi (both without scholarships).

I'm a 29-year-old female from Turkey (non-EU). I'm a project manager fundamentally an architect and I've worked for the last 7-8 years in design, construction, and project management. Additionally, I do speak mid-level Italian.

My goal is to live in Europe for a couple of years, work in a good position in a international reputable company, and maybe head to the US for entrepreneurship or I remain open to exploring other options. As for work vision, I am targeting project/ general management or maybe strategy consultancies.

PROS IMD
International vision & opportunities
Swiss flag and prosperity
Executive education focused only on MBA

CONS IMD
Tough market
Visa issues
40K € more expensive for me

PROS SDA
Italy and Milan life
40K € cheaper for me
I speak medium-level Italian
Higher ranking, especially in recent years
Facilities and campus

CONS SDA
Tough market
Italian economy
Less international
Program less focused on leadership

I appreciate every idea on my journey to decide on my future career path. Please let me know your suggestion as soon as possible since I have only a single day to accept/reject the IMD offer.

Best,­

@elalemsanane ­- congrats on the admits.

Given your career plans in general management/ strategy, IMD is better - the school is very strong in functional/ general management roles and has a global network. Also, the leadership angle in the curriculum and its delivery (owing to relatively small class size) makes personal learning more impactful.

If you haven't already, negotiate with IMD, positioning your other offer + motivation/ strengths.

All the best!­

­
First of all, thanks a lot for your time and answer. Actually, I am leaning also toward IMD, however, all the scholarship negotiations were done and unfortunately I ended up again with no scholarships.

Soo I am trying to evaluate if IMD can suspend this difference in the short run or if the education/after-graduation opportunity difference is not worth 40k since both are quite reputable institutions.

­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
elalemsanane wrote:
­Hello, everyone!

I have postponed deciding until the last minute and now here we are!!  I appreciate it if you share your experience or advice with me.

I've been admitted to IMD and SDA Bocconi (both without scholarships).

I'm a 29-year-old female from Turkey (non-EU). I'm a project manager fundamentally an architect and I've worked for the last 7-8 years in design, construction, and project management. Additionally, I do speak mid-level Italian.

My goal is to live in Europe for a couple of years, work in a good position in a international reputable company, and maybe head to the US for entrepreneurship or I remain open to exploring other options. As for work vision, I am targeting project/ general management or maybe strategy consultancies.

PROS IMD
International vision & opportunities
Swiss flag and prosperity
Executive education focused only on MBA

CONS IMD
Tough market
Visa issues
40K € more expensive for me

PROS SDA
Italy and Milan life
40K € cheaper for me
I speak medium-level Italian
Higher ranking, especially in recent years
Facilities and campus

CONS SDA
Tough market
Italian economy
Less international
Program less focused on leadership

I appreciate every idea on my journey to decide on my future career path. Please let me know your suggestion as soon as possible since I have only a single day to accept/reject the IMD offer.

Best,­

­
Hello elalemsanane,

Congratulations on the very competitive admits! The good news is that neither of your decisions is going to be put you on the wrong side.

We feel slightly more inclined towards IMD simply because the program focuses on leadership and after 7-8 years of experience, it would be nice to be in a program that helps you hone this skill. The challenging economic situation will be a constant throughout Europe so we are not factoring that into decision making.

If money is not a major criterion in decision making, you could consider IMD; in fact, think about negotiating with them on the scholarship front.

Hope this helps.

All the best! :-)

­Thanks for answer!!!! How do you describe the recent fall of IMD in the rankings?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear future totterer

I go for IMD. I know how hard it is to decide not only the institution but your future career path. Remember that there is no wrong choice.
Good luck to all of us.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 649 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Quote:

@
elalemsanane 

IMD is a league above the other option. You will not regret your decision. 

If you are planning to be in the EU for a long time, IMD is a solid brand to push you into leadership positions and general management sort of roles. The cohort is small, and therefore I believe the individual attention is better and the overall environment is very cohesive. Traditionally IMD MBA is known for its focus on leadership and it is the breeding ground for future leaders. The placement opportunities are at par with INSEAD, LBS or any other top school. If you are seeking entry points into GM/ Corp Strategy or similar kind of roles, go with IMD if you can get the admit.

If I were in your position, I would pick IMD Switzerland due to its small class size and close links with some of the best MNCs in Europe (especially in Switzerland). 

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts