Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 03:20 It is currently 20 May 2024, 03:20
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
HEC Paris,    IESE,    LBS,    
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73279 [0]
Given Kudos: 18987
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73279 [0]
Given Kudos: 18987
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 649 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Help needed as payment deadline is approaching! LBS vs IESE vs HEC [#permalink]
Kudos

sleepingbonita wrote:
Hello! help needed in selecting the schools :)

My Profile: South East Asian Female, Education background in Language studies, Worked in IT for both Asia and Europe.

Post-MBA Goal: Transition into MBB Consulting (bit worry about my undergrad study background and GMAT score whether it will impact my application - understand the complication/difficulties to get in), or Strategy role in Amsterdam/London/Zurich/Munich respectively and open for Middle East. After some years, I plan to go back to my home country in South East Asia. 

Situation: I am looking for the advice on which school I would choose: LBS (scholarship pending), HEC (30K euro), and IESE (20K euro). Other than the mentioned scholarship, I will take full loans to finance my MBA and possibly the cost of living. MBA is sure is a big investment, so i'm a bit concerned on how the financial plan will work out given the current economy.

My thoughts on each school:

• LBS: It's a dream! It was the only school that I want go to. But I am aware that living in London is so expensive now and I don't feel comfortable with my financial situation. Besides, I heard from the students that MBB hiring in London does not look great these recent years.
  • IESE: The culture in IESE truly seems to be lovely and the students are very happy about it. And the case method seems to be helpful with preparing for consulting job. However, I'm a bit worry about being excluded given I don't speak Spanish, which I felt on the assesment day. It's true that the class helds several nationalities, but the majority are from Spanish speaking countries. 
  • HEC: It's prestigous and well-known in Europe, but the current employement report shows that very less students get into consulting, and current students mentioned that the career service could be improved. 
Any advices/ experiences are welcome :)­

­sleepingbonita congratulations on the fantastic admits. 

Having been through the MBA grill myself a few years ago (At INSEAD), I would say that you should pick LBS from all the options. I get this question a lot from all the Asians/ SE Asians who reach out to me- "What are the job prospects from LBS, HEC, INSEAD, IESE etc". I tell them that no matter where you graduate from, as a non native speaker and an international, you would still be competing for the same set of openings and targeting the same geographies- London, Amsterdam, Berlin/Munich, basically markets that are open to hiring English speakers and non natives. Being in London has several advantages over the others as you would otherwise anyway be taking career treks to London in search of opportunities. LBS is the number 1 B school program in the UK and has extended visa that you can take advantage of. The LBS brand is truly global and so is the alumni. If you plan to return to your home region you wont have an issue with the brand recall. And last but, perhaps the most important point here, LBS is a top target school for MBB. So, at any point in your career if you want to recruit into consulting, you will have an upper hand in terms of getting the right referrals. 

IESE is showing great results too, but I would think 20K is too less of an amount to let go of the visa and MBB advantage that LBS has over others.

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting (former MBA admissions consultant at top global firm)
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Help needed as payment deadline is approaching! LBS vs IESE vs HEC [#permalink]
Kudos
sleepingbonita wrote:
Hello! help needed in selecting the schools :)

My Profile: South East Asian Female, Education background in Language studies, Worked in IT for both Asia and Europe.

Post-MBA Goal: Transition into MBB Consulting (bit worry about my undergrad study background and GMAT score whether it will impact my application - understand the complication/difficulties to get in), or Strategy role in Amsterdam/London/Zurich/Munich respectively and open for Middle East. After some years, I plan to go back to my home country in South East Asia. 

Situation: I am looking for the advice on which school I would choose: LBS (scholarship pending), HEC (30K euro), and IESE (20K euro). Other than the mentioned scholarship, I will take full loans to finance my MBA and possibly the cost of living. MBA is sure is a big investment, so i'm a bit concerned on how the financial plan will work out given the current economy.

My thoughts on each school:

• LBS: It's a dream! It was the only school that I want go to. But I am aware that living in London is so expensive now and I don't feel comfortable with my financial situation. Besides, I heard from the students that MBB hiring in London does not look great these recent years.
  • IESE: The culture in IESE truly seems to be lovely and the students are very happy about it. And the case method seems to be helpful with preparing for consulting job. However, I'm a bit worry about being excluded given I don't speak Spanish, which I felt on the assesment day. It's true that the class helds several nationalities, but the majority are from Spanish speaking countries. 
  • HEC: It's prestigous and well-known in Europe, but the current employement report shows that very less students get into consulting, and current students mentioned that the career service could be improved. 
Any advices/ experiences are welcome :)­

@sleepingbonita - congrats on the admits!

All 3 are strong programs and, assuming good efforts from your side, I would say your consulting goals can be achieved at either. While it's true some consulting firms look at GMAT scores while recruiting, if you're able to prepare/ network well and demonstrate "transferable skills" (which I'm assuming you did in your B-school applications), you'd have a fair shot. Having a plan-B helps as well.

Purely from a consulting recruitment standpoint, I wouldn't worry about the Spanish language challenge at IESE, or the French language challenge at HEC. Both schools place a good % of grads in consulting roles in Middle East, LatAm, Amsterdam, London etc. where English works. Having said that, LBS is the stronger brand from a global perspective, and hence would be the "safer" long-term bet in my view.

You'd have probably done this already, but make sure to connect with alum from these schools in your target roles. This would help you get a good sense of the school's culture and employment dynamics, which are key factors to consider as well i.e. where do you feel the most cultural fit.

P.S: We're conducting a Free online webinar on "Consulting Careers post MBA" with an ex-Mckinsey Consultant later this month. If it interests you, details and registrations are here

­Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts