Last visit was: 31 May 2024, 10:48 It is currently 31 May 2024, 10:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1475 [25]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
Schools: ISB '20 GMBA '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 650 Q41 V38
Send PM
Re: Each of the 200 students in a class enrolled in at least one of the th [#permalink]
rsrighosh wrote:
VeritasKarishma

I was going through the question
https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-10 ... 58096.html

The question is:-

There are 101 students in a school. The students are split into 3 teams. Team A contains 70 students, team B contains 75 students and team C contains 80 students. What is maximum number of students who can be present in all three teams?

A. 70
B. 65
C. 63
D. 62
E. 61[/
color]

[color=#a0410d]Answer:-

You have to find maximum A&B&C, meaning you have to minimise "exactly 2" i.e only A&B + only B&C + only C&A

Total = A + B + C - A&B - B&C - C&A + A&B&C

exactly 2 = A&B + B&C + C&A - 3(A&B&C)
=> A&B + B&C + C&A = exactly 2 + 3(A&B&C)

Hence the first equation can be written as

=> Total = A + B + C - exactly 2 - 3(A&B&C) + A&B&C
=> Total = A + B + C - exactly 2 - 2(A&B&C)

This is how you get the formula

Now replacing values
101 = 70 + 75 + 80 - exactly 2 - 2(A&B&C)
=> 124 = exactly 2 + 2(A&B&C)

To maximise A&B&C, replace exactly 2 as 0

124 = 0 + 2(A&B&C)
=> (A&B&C) = 62

a)How is this different from the current question?

b) Isn't 30 the minimum value?

c) if i work this problem with Total = A + B + C - exactly 2 - 2(A&B&C), the answer is 40. shouldn't this be answer to maximum?

Kindly help. Looking forward to your reply

It’s a trick here. If you see, max amount of people taking 1 class is 30. Therefore even though x =40 we are limited to the parameters of this problem.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65613 [3]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Re: Each of the 200 students in a class enrolled in at least one of the th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rsrighosh wrote:
VeritasKarishma

I was going through the question
https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-10 ... 58096.html

The question is:-

There are 101 students in a school. The students are split into 3 teams. Team A contains 70 students, team B contains 75 students and team C contains 80 students. What is maximum number of students who can be present in all three teams?

A. 70
B. 65
C. 63
D. 62
E. 61

Answer:-

You have to find maximum A&B&C, meaning you have to minimise "exactly 2" i.e only A&B + only B&C + only C&A

exactly 2 = A&B + B&C + C&A - 3(A&B&C)
=> A&B + B&C + C&A = exactly 2 + 3(A&B&C)

Hence the first equation can be written as

=> Total = A + B + C - exactly 2 - 3(A&B&C) + A&B&C
=> Total = A + B + C - exactly 2 - 2(A&B&C)

This is how you get the formula

Now replacing values
101 = 70 + 75 + 80 - exactly 2 - 2(A&B&C)
=> 124 = exactly 2 + 2(A&B&C)

To maximise A&B&C, replace exactly 2 as 0

124 = 0 + 2(A&B&C)
=> (A&B&C) = 62

a)How is this different from the current question?

b) Isn't 30 the minimum value?

c) if i work this problem with Total = A + B + C - exactly 2 - 2(A&B&C), the answer is 40. shouldn't this be answer to maximum?

Kindly help. Looking forward to your reply

The questions are very similar with similar parameters. The only thing different is the numbers given. But because of the numbers given, we are using different methods on the two questions.

Here, one set is very very small compared to the other two which are fairly large. 100 and 150 will certainly have an overlap of 50 because there are 200 students total. So if you make the set 30 overlap on the 50, you get the overlap of all 3 as 30 (which is the max possible because only 30 take physics). The other 20 of the 50 will have 2 subjects - Chem and Math. You cannot have exactly 2 = 0 here.

In the linked question, the total was 110 and all sets were close to each other. A lot more overlap is possible of all 3 there and hence we were able to make exactly 2 = 0 in that case.

If you want one consistent method, when maximising the overlap of all three, put all circles one inside the other. Then if none needs to be 0 but is not, see from where will you pull out values.
Here, for example, put the 150 circle, then 100 circle inside it and then 30 circle inside the 100 circle (so 70 are outside). This gives you an overlap of 30 for all 3.
But none = 50 here so ensure that you pull some values out. You can pull 50 values from the 70 out to cover the 50.
Your overlap of all 3 stays at 30.

P.S. - I am glad you are creating these links and thinking through on various tweaks utilised in different questions.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93544 posts