Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 07:08 It is currently 02 May 2024, 07:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [7]
Given Kudos: 13
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8844 [1]
Given Kudos: 3035
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Operations (Computer Software)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65038 [0]
Given Kudos: 429
Send PM
Re: The metro service has a train going from A to B and from B to A every [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GoonerForever wrote:
The metro service has a train going from A to B and from B to A every hour, the first one at 6 AM. The trip from one city to other takes 4.5 hours, and all trains travel at the same speed. How many trains will you pass while going from A to B if you start at 12 noon?

1) 8
2) 9
3) 10
4) 13
5) 12

+1 Kudo if you liked the question.

I am assuming the question means that we are travelling by the 12'o clock train from A to B.
So we will reach B at 4:30 pm.

A couple of things to note:
- We start from A toward B at 12'o clock. So the 11'o clock train from A to B will always be 1 hr ahead and 1' o clock train will always be 1 hr behind (since all trains have the same speed). So we don't have to bother about meeting any trains going from A to B.

- We will meet every train that is anywhere on the track from B to A at any time in between 12 to 4:30.

The train that starts at 7:00 am from B will reach A at 11:30 am and we will not meet it. We will meet the train that starts at 8:00 am and every subsequent train till the one that starts at 4:00 pm from B to A.
So we will meet 9 trains going from B to A.

Answer (B)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [1]
Given Kudos: 259
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The metro service has a train going from A to B and from B to A every [#permalink]
Kudos
It's best if you can visualise such Q statements first, before getting hold of your pen and paper.

And carefully go through EVERY information that's been provided:

The first trains start at 6 AM; it takes 4:30 hours for the trains to complete their journies

Now, simply working with this information we see that the train that left its source at 6:00 AM will reach its destination at 10:30, and the one leaving its source at 7:00 AM will reach its destination at 11:30 AM (both complete their journies even before we start ours - so basically they're irrelevant to us)

NOW, the next train leaves at 8:00 AM and will only reach its destination by 12:30 PM. Aha! We'll be in transit at this time and will pass this train during our journey - so that's train #1

Let us now look at all trains travelling towards the city that we departed from (leaving at or after 8:00 AM)

BUT, before that, let us see what time do we get off from the train, post which none of the trains is relevant to us. For that, we start off at 12:00 - take 4:30 hours to complete our journey - and get off at 4:30. So basically, any train leaving after 4:30 does not concern us since we would've already completed our journey before it starts its journey and hence, we will not "pass" the train.

So, we will be passing all trains departing from their source station between 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, i.e. the ones departing at 8:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:00 PM

9 trains, in total, and hence, (B) is our answer.

PLEASE HIT KUDOS IF YOU LIKE MY SOLUTION
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 824 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93004 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts