Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 14:37 It is currently 02 May 2024, 14:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65045 [0]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Re: The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as the mountain lion, puma, pan [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma

In Q4, Isn't the situation mentioned in option B most likely? It says that primary food sources include ungulates such as deer, elk, moose, and bighorn sheep, as well as domestic cattle, horses and sheep we also know that they are seen in south America. For Yukon I am not sure because passage says; "In particular, the cougar was extirpated in eastern North America"

Note; In case we say that Yukon is closer to west than to east, then it requires geography to solve the question
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65045 [2]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as the mountain lion, puma, pan [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
VeritasKarishma

In Q4, Isn't the situation mentioned in option B most likely? It says that primary food sources include ungulates such as deer, elk, moose, and bighorn sheep, as well as domestic cattle, horses and sheep we also know that they are seen in south America. For Yukon I am not sure because passage says; "In particular, the cougar was extirpated in eastern North America"

Note; In case we say that Yukon is closer to west than to east, then it requires geography to solve the question

4. According to the passage, you would most likely see a cougar in which of the following situations:

a. On the east coast of the U.S. in late afternoon.
b. In the southern hemisphere, particularly around livestock.
c. In the Yukon while driving during the night.
d. In Chicago during the morning hours.
e. In Florida during the middle of the day.

The cougar ... Its range, from the Canadian Yukon to the southern Andes of South America,.. Secretive and largely solitary by nature, the cougar is properly considered both nocturnal and crepuscular, although sightings during daylight hours do rarely occur.

We know that cougar's range is from Canadian Yukon to southern Andes of South America. We know it is solitary (so will not be surrounded by other animals) and nocturnal so will likely be seen at night.

Hence, Yukon at night makes most sense. Where exactly Yukon is, east west etc, we don't know and don't need to know. We are clearly given that Yukon is in its range.

Even if domestic animals are one of its food source, it doesn't mean we will see it surrounded by them. We are most likely to see it alone and at night.

Answer (C)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 455
Send PM
Re: The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as the mountain lion, puma, pan [#permalink]
E is also correct. Funnily, in the answer explanation, you have skipped giving the rationale to reject E. So, I guess it is correct as well. Poorly worded answer choices, not your fault.

Sajjad1994 wrote:
nottheusual wrote:
Please post the OE for Q3 too Sajjad1994

Official Explanation

3. All of the following are discussed in the passage EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

For this type of question, use your initial reading to try to locate each of these topics quickly. For (A), the habitat of the cougar is discussed in several places, so this is not the correct answer. In the beginning of the 2nd paragraph the cougar is described as “An excellent stalk-and-ambush predator,” which describes exactly how the cougar pursues its prey.

As a result, (B) can be eliminated. Answer choice (C) is tricky but it is NOT found in the passage and is thus correct. While you learn the effects of human encroachment on cougar habitat, there is nothing in the passage about how land preservation has affected the cougar.

In the third paragraph you learn about the extirpation of the cougar in the 20th century (1900s) so (D) is not correct. And lastly, in the end of the first paragraph you learn that the cougar is more closely related to felines than to lions – a portion of the evolutionary history of the cougar.

Answer is (C).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts