Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 01:22 It is currently 03 May 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [81]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7780 [25]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [10]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I will go with C

lower than is correct in this case , also amounts is wrong so A and E are out\
B - out uses less than
D out uses a dramatically lower sum than
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4621 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco [#permalink]
Kudos
Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than

I think expediture is countable, so 'lower than' instead of 'less than' .

C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [3]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Bookmarks
Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than

OA is C. I know that this question has been discussed earlier, but I wanted a comprehensive answer...

I know that lower is used for countable nouns and less is used for uncountable nouns. But, I read in an MGMAT answer explanation that there are three exceptions to this rule. The three are: money, distance, and time.

You say "I got less than twenty dollars", not "I got fewer than twenty dollars".

On the other hand, you say "I got lower percentage than him". You don't use "less percentage"
I read somewhere that lower and higher is used for physical entities.

I am a bit confused between 'lower than vs less than vs fewer than'. Similarly with higher than vs. more than vs. greater than.
Could somebody clarify this please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja / mikemcgarry

Hope you are doing good :-)

Can you help the explain the difference between "less than" and "lower than"

Any concept / dope will be really helpful to understand the usage difference. Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Can you help explain the difference between less than vs lower than?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco [#permalink]
Bookmarks
gmatter0913 wrote:

OA is C. I know that this question has been discussed earlier, but I wanted a comprehensive answer...

I know that lower is used for countable nouns and less is used for uncountable nouns. But, I read in an MGMAT answer explanation that there are three exceptions to this rule. The three are: money, distance, and time.

You say "I got less than twenty dollars", not "I got fewer than twenty dollars".

On the other hand, you say "I got lower percentage than him". You don't use "less percentage"
I read somewhere that lower and higher is used for physical entities.

I am a bit confused between 'lower than vs less than vs fewer than'. Similarly with higher than vs. more than vs. greater than.
Could somebody clarify this please?

I was also confused between 'lower than vs less than vs fewer than'. Similarly with higher than vs. more than vs. greater than.

If anyone has still a confusion regarding the above usages, please follow this link below, (detailed explanation by MikemcGarry in Magoosh Blog)

1. https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-grammar-less-vs-fewer/
2. https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-comparisons-more-vs-greater-and-less-vs-fewer/

Originally posted by aceGMAT21 on 13 Oct 2017, 00:04.
Last edited by aceGMAT21 on 19 Oct 2017, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620872 [0]
Given Kudos: 81741
Send PM
Expert Reply
bipolarbear wrote:

I thought when comparing two things or a statistic, using less than was correct

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Expenditures is plural so its verb (originally amounts) needs to be plural as well. Eliminate (A) and (E). Scan for differences among the remaining choices: should the sum be less than or lower than? Lower than is right; less is only correct when it refers to something that can't be counted (less legislation but lower sums). That leaves (C) and (D). Should the choice begin expenditures on law suits or law suit expenditures? The second is unclear and unidiomatic in this context so axe it and you're left with (C).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
// This qustion requires understanding of multiple concepts such as:
1. Use superlative degree for comparison.
2. Subject Verb agreement.
3. Logical meaning.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than// Wrong: Violates Rule SVA by using amounts for expenditures//
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than// Wrong: Violates Rule 1 by using less than for comparison//
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than// Correct: Rule 1 correct, Rule 2 correct and intended meaning i also correct//
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than// Intended meaning is wrong//
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than// Wrong: SVA violation//

Hope this helps...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
tusharaggarwal wrote:

(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than// Intended meaning is wrong//

Why that?
please explain for guaranteed kudos
Own Kudos [?]: 7780 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
paolodeppa We can't say that the expenditure was "regarding tobacco companies." We spend money on things, not regarding them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco [#permalink]
Dear Experts,

Can you explain how can we use "Lower" for countable nouns? It is still not clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is not this contradicting with this official question?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/even-though- ... 67642.html
Own Kudos [?]: 7780 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tamalmallick13

We're not using "lower" for a countable noun. It is modifying SUM, not EXPENDITURES.

raysayshooray

Can you clarify? What are you seeing as a contradiction?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts