Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 23:19 It is currently 02 May 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [17]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7637 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: While space looks empty, it is in fact filled with matter. In 1933, Sw [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Are we sure OA answer marked for 2nd question correct?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [3]
Send PM
Re: While space looks empty, it is in fact filled with matter. In 1933, Sw [#permalink]
Kudos
I have cross checked and the OA to Q2 is B. Below is the OE for the same.

Solution: B.

This inference question comes with a high burden of proof – the correct answer must be true. Several answer choices are likely but not proven – A, for example, may well be true but the passage only states that the positron fraction of these particular charges peaks when positrons are created – this doesn’t mean that there aren’t higher positron fractions measurable from other reactions or phenomena. Choice C is also close but not absolute – the third paragraph states that AMS has viewed hundreds of thousands of instances “consistent with” the theory of positrons but falls short of guaranteeing that they were, in fact, positrons. Choice D is too strong – AMS has struggled with the fact that positron and pulsar charges are similar, but we do not know that they are in fact indistinguishable. And choice E is also not certain – the passage says that this theory is “among the most promising theories,” but that leaves room for other promising theories to be regarded as even more plausible.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:
I have cross checked and the OA to Q2 is B. Below is the OE for the same.

Solution: B.

This inference question comes with a high burden of proof – the correct answer must be true. Several answer choices are likely but not proven – A, for example, may well be true but the passage only states that the positron fraction of these particular charges peaks when positrons are created – this doesn’t mean that there aren’t higher positron fractions measurable from other reactions or phenomena. Choice C is also close but not absolute – the third paragraph states that AMS has viewed hundreds of thousands of instances “consistent with” the theory of positrons but falls short of guaranteeing that they were, in fact, positrons. Choice D is too strong – AMS has struggled with the fact that positron and pulsar charges are similar, but we do not know that they are in fact indistinguishable. And choice E is also not certain – the passage says that this theory is “among the most promising theories,” but that leaves room for other promising theories to be regarded as even more plausible.

I understand all the information you gave, but could you please help me understand how can we infer B. I have the solid reason for rejecting all choices but B. Still, I am not convinced with selecting B as a right answer choice. Could you share your views here?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Sure abhimahna

Let me give it a try. Lets quickly get to Para 2nd of the passage.

Among the most promising hypotheses is one that includes neutralinos, a proposed particle akin to the Higgs Boson particle as a building block of the universe we know. Neutralinos, it is proposed, will annihilate each other when they collide, producing both a matter and an antimatter equivalent (an electron and a positron, respectively). In such a reaction, each particle would carry with it as much energy as one neutralino has mass (per Einstein’s theory of relativity), and this energy may well provide the means for which scientists can finally identify these sought-after particles.

From the italicized part, it is clear that the *neutralinos* destroy when they collide with each other and , as a result, produce both a matter and an antimatter equivalent. The antimatter equivalent comprises of a) an electron and b) a positron. Further, the text says that each particle will carry with it as much energy as one neutralino has mass. This means that both the electron and the positron will have energy equivalent to mass of 1 neutralino. This just strengthens the fact that they both carry same amount of energy.

This is the best I could do. I'm not really good at explaining. Still, let me know if you want me to elaborate further.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:
Sure abhimahna

Among the most promising hypotheses is one that includes neutralinos, a proposed particle akin to the Higgs Boson particle as a building block of the universe we know. Neutralinos, it is proposed, will annihilate each other when they collide, producing both a matter and an antimatter equivalent (an electron and a positron, respectively). In such a reaction, each particle would carry with it as much energy as one neutralino has mass (per Einstein’s theory of relativity), and this energy may well provide the means for which scientists can finally identify these sought-after particles.

From the italicized part, it is clear that the *neutralinos* destroy when they collide with each other and , as a result, produce both a matter and an antimatter equivalent. The antimatter equivalent comprises of a) an electron and b) a positron. Further, the text says that each particle will carry with it as much energy as one neutralino has mass. This means that both the electron and the positron will have energy equivalent to mass of 1 neutralino. This just strengthens the fact that they both carry same amount of energy.

This is the best I could do. I'm not really good at explaining. Still, let me know if you want me to elaborate further.

I truly appreciate your efforts friend. I just missed the line "each particle would carry with it as much energy as one neutralino has mass ".

Thanks a lot friend. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
Keats wrote:
Sure abhimahna

I truly appreciate your efforts friend. I just missed the line "each particle would carry with it as much energy as one neutralino has mass ".

Thanks a lot friend. :)

The same line also says "in such a reaction" so it cannot be generalised to say that Electrons and neutrons both carry same amount of energy. B is incorrect answer choice in my opinion.
The 1st line in the 3rd paragraph says the plausibility has garnered support for extensive research meaning it is perhaps accepted as the most plausible hypothesis.
so E looks like a better choice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM

Passage Map:

1) Dark matter and its search
2) One hypothesis
3) Support for that hypothesis
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Q2. is a classic BS answer, there is no solid ground to select B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I dont get how question 3 is D can someone help? Anti-matter is not dark matter.. Neutralinos from the passage are the elementary particle that builds dark matter. So we would need something that creates neutralinos. right?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33175 [0]
Given Kudos: 5783
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
While space looks empty, it is in fact filled with matter. In 1933, Sw [#permalink]
Expert Reply

thecardinal wrote:
I dont get how question 3 is D can someone help? Anti-matter is not dark matter.. Neutralinos from the passage are the elementary particle that builds dark matter. So we would need something that creates neutralinos. right?

Explanation

3. According to the passage, scientists theorize that dark matter is created when

Explanation
­

The passage discusses the hypothesis that neutralinos, a proposed particle similar to the Higgs Boson particle, are a potential building block of dark matter. It suggests that when neutralinos collide, they will annihilate each other, producing both a matter and an antimatter equivalent (an electron and a positron, respectively). In this reaction, each particle would carry with it as much energy as one neutralino has mass, according to Einstein’s theory of relativity. Therefore, the creation of dark matter is associated with the collision and annihilation of neutralinos. (D) is correct.

A. The positron fraction reaching its peak value is associated with the detection of high-energy positrons, which is a method used to search for evidence of dark matter annihilation, as mentioned in the passage. However, it does not directly relate to the creation of dark matter itself.

B. Pulsars are discussed in the passage as potential sources of charged particles, but they are not directly related to the creation of dark matter. Pulsars are remnants of supernova explosions and are mentioned as a source of charged particles that could be mistaken for those resulting from dark matter annihilation.

C. While positrons are mentioned in the context of dark matter annihilation, (C) does not accurately represent the process described in the passage. The passage states that neutralinos collide and annihilate each other, releasing energy equivalent to the mass of one neutralino, not that positrons release energy equal to neutralino mass.

E. is incorrect because it describes a process involving electrons and positrons, but it does not relate to the creation of dark matter. The passage discusses the annihilation of neutralinos, not electrons and positrons.

Answer: D
­
GMAT Club Bot
While space looks empty, it is in fact filled with matter. In 1933, Sw [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts