Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 03:21 It is currently 20 May 2024, 03:21
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1951 [51]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3161 [20]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6372 [15]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7672 [4]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM
Re: 8 litres of wine is drawn from a cask full of wine and is then filled [#permalink]
Kudos
Although this question can be solved in the conventional method using expressions, a faster approach in this question would be to observe the numbers and pick options accordingly.

The withdrawal and replacement operations are being carried out four times. Each time, 8 litres are withdrawn and replaced. At the end of four operations, the ratio of wine to water is 16:65.

This means that the total volume left in the cask is a multiple of 81 (16+65). We know 81 = \(3^4\).
So, let’s pick up those options which are multiples of 3.

Let’s start with option A. Out of 18 litres, if 8 litres is removed, the concentration of wine left after 4 operations = \(\frac{5}{9} * \frac{5}{9} * \frac{5}{9} * \frac{5}{9}\). This will definitely not give us \(\frac{16}{65}\). Option A can be eliminated.

Let’s try option B. Out of 24 litres, if 8 litres is removed, the concentration of wine left after 4 operations = \(\frac{2}{3} * \frac{2}{3} * \frac{2}{3} * \frac{2}{3}\) = \(\frac{16}{81}\). Clearly, this is,

\(\frac{Wine}{Total}\) = \(\frac{16}{81}\) i.e. \(\frac{Wine}{Wine + Water}\) = \(\frac{16}{16 + 65}\). Therefore, the ratio of wine to water is 16:65, which is what is mentioned in the question.

So, the correct answer option is B.

As you can see, this approach where we try out options based on a certain logic worked really well and did not take too much time as well. So, in such questions, instead of always relying on an expression to help you solve the question, try using logic and the answer options instead.

Hope this helps!
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: 8 litres of wine is drawn from a cask full of wine and is then filled [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear Aravind,

Can you please explain how did you get the ratio of 5/9 and 2/3 while working on options A & B?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [3]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
When we have a situation where, from a solution containing 'xi' and 'yi' liters of two components X and Y, 'z' liters is drawn out and replaced by 'z' liters of Y and this process is repeated 'n' times, the remaining quantity of X(xr) is given by the following formula which is explained in the attachment:

xr = xi{(xi+yi-z)/(xi+yi)}^n

This is a generalized formula which can be applied to solve several variations of this problem (e.g. when both components are present in the original solution which I have come across in other similar problems)

In this particular case, 'yi' (water) is zero since the cask is filled entirely with wine. To simplify matters, let's say the volume of the cask is T so xi=xi+yi=T. So the formula becomes:

xr=T{(T-z)/T}^n=T{(T-8)/T}^4

The fraction of wine that is present in the final solution after the process is done 4 times is T{(T-8)/T}^4/T={(T-8)/T}^4 which is equal to 16/(65+16)=16/81=(2/3)^4....> (T-8)/T=2/3...> T=24
Attachments

FORMULA.docx [16.19 KiB]
Downloaded 116 times

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1348 [6]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
Eight litres of wine is drawn from a cask full of wine and is replaced with water. The operation is repeated three more times. The ratio of the quantity of wine left in cask to that of water is 16:65. How much wine did the cask originally hold?

A. 18 litres
B. 24 litres
C. 32 litres
D. 42 litres
E. 60 litres

\(Cfinal=Cinitial(Vinitial/Vfinal)^{(repeated)}\)
Cinitial of wine = 100% = 1 ("a cask full of wine")
Cfinal of wine = 16/(65+16) = 16/81 ("ratio wine to water")
Vinitial in the cask = t-8 (liquid removed)
Vfinal in the cask = t-8+8 (liquid removed and water added)

find initial volume: \(Cfinal=Cinitial(Vinitial/Vfinal)^4=… 16/81=1(t-8/t)^4… 2/3=(t-8/t)… t=24\)

Answer (B)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Hi MartyMurray, would you be able to take a stab at this?

Frankly I find the answers quite lacking and require an amount of prior understanding to understand which I do not have.... Also, is there a formula/method to address such questions?

I find it quite hard to accept that a constant removal and addition can be equated to a proportional reduction at every step..­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1608 [4]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
8 litres of wine is drawn from a cask full of wine and is then filled [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

unicornilove wrote:

Frankly I find the answers quite lacking and require an amount of prior understanding to understand which I do not have.... Also, is there a formula/method to address such questions?

I find it quite hard to accept that a constant removal and addition can be equated to a proportional reduction at every step..­

­Let's think about what's going on in this scenario.

Each time the process occurs, 8 liters of liquid is removed and replaced with 8 liters that contains no wine.

Of course, in each case, 8 liters is going to represent the same fraction of the liquid that's in the cask.

For example, if the amount of liquid in the cask is 32 liters, 8 liters will be \(\frac{1}{4}\) of the liquid each time.

So, let's see what happens if we remove the same fraction of liquid from the cask multiple times.

Let's say that the number of liters in the cask is \(x\).

We remove 8 liters of wine.

So, when we remove 8 liters of wine, the fraction of the total wine that we have removed is \(\frac{8}{x}\).

Then, the number of liters of wine left in the cask is \(x - 8\).

The fraction of original wine that will be left will be \(\frac{x - 8}{x}\).

Then, we replace what we have removed with water, and there's still \(x - 8\) liters of wine in the cask, along with 8 ilters of water.

Simple enough.

Now, you might think that the next time, we'd remove a different fraction of the wine because, the next time we remove 8 liters of liquid, there's less wine in the cask. However, notice the following.

When we remove 8 liters, we're still removing \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the liquid in the cask, which presumably is a homogenous mix of wine and water.

So, when we remove 8 liters, we remove \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the wine and \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the water.

So, with each removal and replacement, we remove the same fraction of the remaining wine, which is \(\frac{8}{x}\), and replace it with water.

Now, the fraction of the wine that remains when we take out \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the wine is \(\frac{x - 8}{x}\) of the wine. So, after the process occurs 1 time, we have \(\frac{x - 8}{x}\) of the original amount.

After the process occurs 2 times, we have \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^2\) of the wine left.

After the process occurs 3 times, we have \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^3\) of the wine left.

After the process occurs 3 times, we have  \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^4\) of the wine left.

Thus, since the ratio of wine to water is 16:65, and thus the ratio of wine to total is \(\frac{16}{16 + 65}\) = \(\frac{16}{81}\),  \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^4 = \frac{16}{81}\).

Thus, \(\frac{x - 8}{x} =\) the fourth root of \(\frac{16}{81} = \frac{2}{3}\).

\(\frac{x - 8}{x} = \frac{2}{3}\)

\(3(x - 8) = 2x\)

\(3x - 24 = 2x\)

\(x = 24\)

Correct answer: B­

Originally posted by MartyMurray on 30 Mar 2024, 02:37.
Last edited by MartyMurray on 30 Mar 2024, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hey MartyMurray, thank you for your reply.

I couldn't get past understanding how removal of 8 litres of wine equates to 8/x.

I do understand that amount of wine after the first removal is x-8, if x was the original amount of wine. Not sure why it has a denominator of x.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3161 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

unicornilove wrote:

­If the volume of a container is reduced by x%, then every element in the container is reduced by the same x%.

Example:
A 100-liter container filled to capacity with a mixture of water and alcohol has 10% of its contents removed.

Case 1: The mixture is composed of 90 liters of water and 10 liters of alcohol
In this case, the volume of water decreases by 9 liters (10%) and the volume of alcohol by 1 liter (also 10%), with the result that the total decrease in volume \(= \frac{9+1}{100}\) = 10%

Case 2: The mixture is composed of 80 liters of water and 20 liters of alcohol
In this case, the volume of water decreases by 8 liters (10%) and the volume of alcohol by 2 liters (also 10%), with the result that the total decrease in volume \(= \frac{8+2}{100} =\) 10%

Case 3: The mixture is composed of 70 liters of water and 30 liters of alcohol
In this case, the volume of water decreases by 7 liters (10%) and the volume of alcohol by 3 liters (also 10%), with the result that the total decrease in volume \(= \frac{7+3}{100}\) = 10%

The composition of the mixture is irrelevant: whatever the composition, each element in the container will be reduced by the same percentage (10% in the examples above).

This principle will hold true no matter how many times the process is implemented.
For each x% reduction in the total volume, the volume of each element will be reduced by the same x%.
In the problem at hand, we keep removing 8 liters of a 24-liter cask -- a reduction of 1/3.
Implication:
With each removal, the volume of every element in the cask -- including the wine -- is reduced by the same fraction (1/3).
 ­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65376 [3]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
8 litres of wine is drawn from a cask full of wine and is then filled [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

DisciplinedPrep wrote:
Eight litres of wine is drawn from a cask full of wine and is replaced with water. The operation is repeated three more times. The ratio of the quantity of wine left in cask to that of water is 16:65. How much wine did the cask originally hold?

A. 18 litres
B. 24 litres
C. 32 litres
D. 42 litres
E. 60 litres

Responding to a pm:

From the theory of removal and replacement, we know
\(C_f = C_i * (\frac{V_i}{V_f})^n\)

Initially, we had 100% wine so concentration
\(C_i = 1\)
\(C_f = \frac{16}{(16+65)} = \frac{16}{81}\) (Final Concentration)

Since the entire removal and replacement process is done a total of 4 times, 
\(\frac{16}{81} = 1 * (\frac{V_i}{V_f})^n\)
\(\frac{V_i}{V_f} = \frac{2}{3}\)

So ratio of volume after removing wine and ­and after putting back water was 2:3. This means 1/3rd of wine was removed and replaced with water. Since 1/3rd was 8 ltrs, total wine volume must have been 24 ltrs. 

Answer (B)

I have discussed removal and replacement in detail in my content which you can check out for free tomorrow through 'Super Sundays' (details in my signature below and in this video:
https://youtu.be/gN_vlDpUflo )
 ­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1608 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
unicornilove wrote:

I couldn't get past understanding how removal of 8 litres of wine equates to 8/x.

I do understand that amount of wine after the first removal is x-8, if x was the original amount of wine. Not sure why it has a denominator of x.

­I've edited my explanation. See whether you understand now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey MartyMurray, thanks this is really helpful and I can't thank you enough.

Would you be able to help me understand how you got from the first pour to the subsequent pours? i.e from ((x-8)/x) to ((x-8)/x)^2 and so on?
MartyMurray wrote:
unicornilove wrote:

­I've edited my explanation. See whether you understand now.

­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 474
Send PM
Bunuel , Can we have links of similar questions for practice ? I think this topic is very frequently tested in gmat.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625180 [1]
Given Kudos: 81907
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
Bunuel , Can we have links of similar questions for practice ? I think this topic is very frequently tested in gmat.

Posted from my mobile device

­Try searching in Mixture Problems:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... tag_id=114
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey MartyMurray,

Would you be able to help explain how you got from (x-8)/x to the subsequent ((x-8)/x)^2 and so on?

I understand the first part on removal.
MartyMurray wrote:
unicornilove wrote:

­Let's think about what's going on in this scenario.

Each time the process occurs, 8 liters of liquid is removed and replaced with 8 liters that contains no wine.

Of course, in each case, 8 liters is going to represent the same fraction of the liquid that's in the cask.

For example, if the amount of liquid in the cask is 32 liters, 8 liters will be \(\frac{1}{4}\) of the liquid each time.

So, let's see what happens if we remove the same fraction of liquid from the cask multiple times.

Let's say that the number of liters in the cask is \(x\).

We remove 8 liters of wine.

So, when we remove 8 liters of wine, the fraction of the total wine that we have removed is \(\frac{8}{x}\).

Then, the number of liters of wine left in the cask is \(x - 8\).

The fraction of original wine that will be left will be \(\frac{x - 8}{x}\).

Then, we replace what we have removed with water, and there's still \(x - 8\) liters of wine in the cask, along with 8 ilters of water.

Simple enough.

Now, you might think that the next time, we'd remove a different fraction of the wine because, the next time we remove 8 liters of liquid, there's less wine in the cask. However, notice the following.

When we remove 8 liters, we're still removing \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the liquid in the cask, which presumably is a homogenous mix of wine and water.

So, when we remove 8 liters, we remove \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the wine and \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the water.

So, with each removal and replacement, we remove the same fraction of the remaining wine, which is \(\frac{8}{x}\), and replace it with water.

Now, the fraction of the wine that remains when we take out \(\frac{8}{x}\) of the wine is \(\frac{x - 8}{x}\) of the wine. So, after the process occurs 1 time, we have \(\frac{x - 8}{x}\) of the original amount.

After the process occurs 2 times, we have \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^2\) of the wine left.

After the process occurs 3 times, we have \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^3\) of the wine left.

After the process occurs 3 times, we have  \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^4\) of the wine left.

Thus, since the ratio of wine to water is 16:65, and thus the ratio of wine to total is \(\frac{16}{16 + 65}\) = \(\frac{16}{81}\),  \((\frac{x - 8}{x})^4 = \frac{16}{81}\).

Thus, \(\frac{x - 8}{x} =\) the fourth root of \(\frac{16}{81} = \frac{2}{3}\).

\(\frac{x - 8}{x} = \frac{2}{3}\)

\(3(x - 8) = 2x\)

\(3x - 24 = 2x\)

\(x = 24\)

Correct answer: B­

­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93351 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts