Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 22:22 It is currently 08 May 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Is this helpful?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73117 [0]
Given Kudos: 18938
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
US News 2024 Business School Rankings (MBA): Corrected Ranking [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thank you. I think I agree with your methodology and your points. I do realize that once you said parameters for rankings then you have to accept the result because numbers don’t lie but I think many people will struggle with Harvard and Stanford not being in the top 10 🥴 only a smart or thoughtful person would actually dive deeper….

We do have GMAT Club rankings that we created to try to fix the issues that you referencing and so I’m quite familiar with intrinsic challenges.
Link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-fu ... 28588.html (feedback is very welcome)

One we ran into is that salary data swing drastically depending on where the graduates are finding their jobs. For example, most graduates from a place like Berkeley are getting a job in the bay area, it will be higher than someone getting a job in Texas for example. Then there are jobs that don’t change and salary as much such as consulting jobs and then there are industry jobs that tend to pay more than others and a program that mostly graduates consultants, is going to have a higher pay rate than a program graduating other candidates. Try to count for this, would be a tricky process but possible I guess.

Posted from my mobile device­
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: US News 2024 Business School Rankings (MBA): Corrected Ranking [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Oh, and forgot to add we have tried to put a similar ranking tool (this is for 2023 and not updated with 2024 data) that would allow customizing rankings based on personal qualities:

https://www.interactivecalculator.com/v ... OXD35zWgb7
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I agree bb. It would be difficult to account for the differing salaries by region/job function.

One way that seems better to account for the popularity/prestige aspects accounted for by peer/recruiter assessments would be to compare the yield rates to see which programs students actually prefer and are choosing. I could add that in and users could select whichever weights they desire to account for this.

I will check out the calculator! Sounds interesting!­

Edit: Also, TargetKellogg2024, I like the ranking you made!! I was merely trying to replicate the US News ranking/improve it so others can weight categories themselves. It would be interesting to go in depth as you have to create a ranking! Looks good!­
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 553 [1]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Kudos
Hey GMATGenius!
I really liked your ranking (personally more so because Kellogg is #2)

The first draft of the ranking that I created looked more or less the same, but I had to change the way I was approaching this. For me, it was very important to factor in both- the quantitative and qualitative aspects of the school in ranking them. The quantitative factors, as you have rightly considered, are the acceptance rate, yield rate, employment rate etc. However, these data points need not necessarily reflect the true value. For example, from my extensive research, I have learnt that though Stanford's reported employment at three months is just 70-80%, it's not because the people are not able to get a job. That's because people do not wanna take up the job that they have received. In fact, one Stanford graduate whose interview I watched mentioned that he got 8 jobs within 3 months of graduation that he didn't accept and therefore, he was reported as one of those remaining 20-30% unemployed students. In a different scenario, I noticed that one specific school has jan average GMAT score of ~730. If you look at this average score superficially, you might consider this school in the same league as the M7s or Top 10. However, when you dive deeper into the other linked factors, you'd know that the school has found their way around US News ranking. They get this average GMAT from just one third of the class who have provided GMAT scores. Rest others were admitted through GRE or test waivers. This brings to another challenge- many business schools have started waiving off the test requirements. This again, needs to be considered while calculating the rankings. There are many other similar challenges with just the quantitative factors and therefore, I think that these factors could be deceptive.

On the other hand, qualitative factors are the same as well. It's almost next to impossible to evaluate and rank the schools in terms of their culture, community, and resources that they offer to their students. We all know that anyone who graduates from the M7 will have all the doors to their preferred career track opened. It is also widely known that Tuck has the best alumni network, even better than the M7s. It is also known that Kellogg has the best marketing department and places a lot (still fewer than in Conulting, Tech, or Finance) in marketing, and their salaries are relatively less. To compensate for these challenges, any many other similar challenges, I thought to consider peer and recruiter assessment scores. Though these assessment scores cannot be trusted at their face value, we are considering them honest because after all, as I mentioned earlier, even the quantitative data points are not completely true.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 553 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
On a side note, nightblade354 is gonna treat you with nice goodies! Your ranking of Darden would make him a happy boy! :P­
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5761 [1]
Given Kudos: 3065
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetKellogg2024 wrote:
On a side note, nightblade354 is gonna treat you with nice goodies! Your ranking of Darden would make him a happy boy! :P­

Damn straight. These are rankings that are Nightblade approved

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Thank you. I think I agree with your methodology and your points. I do realize that once you said parameters for rankings then you have to accept the result because numbers don’t lie but I think many people will struggle with Harvard and Stanford not being in the top 10 🥴 only a smart or thoughtful person would actually dive deeper….

We do have GMAT Club rankings that we created to try to fix the issues that you referencing and so I’m quite familiar with intrinsic challenges.
Link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-fu ... 28588.html (feedback is very welcome)

One we ran into is that salary data swing drastically depending on where the graduates are finding their jobs. For example, most graduates from a place like Berkeley are getting a job in the bay area, it will be higher than someone getting a job in Texas for example. Then there are jobs that don’t change and salary as much such as consulting jobs and then there are industry jobs that tend to pay more than others and a program that mostly graduates consultants, is going to have a higher pay rate than a program graduating other candidates. Try to count for this, would be a tricky process but possible I guess.

Posted from my mobile device­

­
As for Harvard and Stanford, it seems US News was trying to mitigate their drop in ranking due to their underperformances in placement by decreasing the weight of placement at graduation and placement at 3 months after graduation. The entire ranking can be easily manipulated by addiing other factors and changing the weights.

If I was making a ranking, I think yield rate would be important to include as well as a way to account for discrepancies in salary. Unfortunately, this would be a lot of data to go through and it is not easily accessible.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
TargetKellogg2024 wrote:
Hey GMATGenius!
I really liked your ranking (personally more so because Kellogg is #2)

The first draft of the ranking that I created looked more or less the same, but I had to change the way I was approaching this. For me, it was very important to factor in both- the quantitative and qualitative aspects of the school in ranking them. The quantitative factors, as you have rightly considered, are the acceptance rate, yield rate, employment rate etc. However, these data points need not necessarily reflect the true value. For example, from my extensive research, I have learnt that though Stanford's reported employment at three months is just 70-80%, it's not because the people are not able to get a job. That's because people do not wanna take up the job that they have received. In fact, one Stanford graduate whose interview I watched mentioned that he got 8 jobs within 3 months of graduation that he didn't accept and therefore, he was reported as one of those remaining 20-30% unemployed students. In a different scenario, I noticed that one specific school has jan average GMAT score of ~730. If you look at this average score superficially, you might consider this school in the same league as the M7s or Top 10. However, when you dive deeper into the other linked factors, you'd know that the school has found their way around US News ranking. They get this average GMAT from just one third of the class who have provided GMAT scores. Rest others were admitted through GRE or test waivers. This brings to another challenge- many business schools have started waiving off the test requirements. This again, needs to be considered while calculating the rankings. There are many other similar challenges with just the quantitative factors and therefore, I think that these factors could be deceptive.

On the other hand, qualitative factors are the same as well. It's almost next to impossible to evaluate and rank the schools in terms of their culture, community, and resources that they offer to their students. We all know that anyone who graduates from the M7 will have all the doors to their preferred career track opened. It is also widely known that Tuck has the best alumni network, even better than the M7s. It is also known that Kellogg has the best marketing department and places a lot (still fewer than in Conulting, Tech, or Finance) in marketing, and their salaries are relatively less. To compensate for these challenges, any many other similar challenges, I thought to consider peer and recruiter assessment scores. Though these assessment scores cannot be trusted at their face value, we are considering them honest because after all, as I mentioned earlier, even the quantitative data points are not completely true.

­These are all very good points! After some thought, it seems fair that Stanford was penalized when looking solely at employment rate because a larger percentage reported not having jobs. (some things to think about- maybe other schools are underreporting their unemployment but this is the data that was given so not much we can do about that; if it had been a school with a smaller brand name, would we be arguing that employment rate should have a smaller weight in the ranking?) 

In that one situation, even though the student had multiple offers, they still do not have paid employment 3 months after their MBA. Was the program not able to help them achieve a job they wanted, or if it was, why did they not accept?

I have a solution that could account for the test optional programs. Let's say a in a ranking that GMAT score is weighted at 0.15 and the average GMAT score across all test takers is ~590. If a program has 100% of the class submit GMATs and the average is a score of 700, then the contribution of this score would be 0.15*700*1. If a program has 50% of their class submit GMATs and the average score is 650, then you could assume that the remaining scores are all the average score of ~590. So the contribution of GMAT for this school would be 0.15*(650*0.5 + 590*0.5). This is just for demonstration. You would still need to normalize the scores and do the same for GRE. This will also change things a lot with the introduction of the new shorter GRE and shorter GMAT where there are scoring differences.

But, yes, you are right. End of the day it is just a ranking. Students should look to see if the program will help them meet their career goals and if the community culture is a fit for them. It is still 2 years of your life, so you want to enjoy the journey! That is a big reason why I chose Team Fuqua! 😝

I'm glad you liked where it put Kellogg and Darden! ­
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think the methodology put Kellogg and Darden there :angel:
GMAT Club Bot