Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 00:11 It is currently 09 May 2024, 00:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622307 [3]
Given Kudos: 81800
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 390
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that [#permalink]
sayan640
How is option D a weaker

I read it as: incumbents have more power to buy up ad space than the challenger… Isn’t that in support of the argument?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q90 V80 DI85
Send PM
Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that [#permalink]
Kudos
I think answer is D
If we negate D, it can't be said "the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents"­

In addition,
"­Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that the single most effective way for politicians to win votes is to purchase expensive television advertising. "
'expensive television advertisng'

Edit: sayan640 even though, negation -> weaken so it must be assumption

KarishmaB would you help?­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that [#permalink]
I am confused between A and D.

I am writing what I am thinking, PLEASE CORRECT ME if I have any flaws in my thinking.

background: Studies show that only way to win is to purchase TV ad.
TV ad favors incumbents (premise) therefore it should be banned (conclusion).

(A) Incumbents have won eighty percent of the elections in Glen Isle in the last 10 years.
---- (only way to win is to purchase ad and it favors the incumbents and if they have won 80% then they must be purchasing the ad (becoz that's the single most effective way), therefore it is a premise and supports the conclusion.
---- Let's negate the statement " Incumbents have won only 10% of the elections in last 10 years, may be last election" does it destroy the conclusion? (Not sure, can someone help me here????????)

(D) Glen Isle incumbents have access to financial support in excess of that available to challengers.
----- Hence it makes the premise stronger that it favors the incumbents and it should be banned.
-----Negate the statement: If they have the same money then TV ad will not favor anyone and should not be banned.

I am more inclined towards D­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
sayan640 wrote:
A should be the answer. Importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents. Incumbents won majority elections. Hence television advertising should be banned.
Only option E is close. But it's out of scope.

First from my understanding of assumption questions type in gmat, the concept "out of scope" does not apply. And more than often the correct answer to assumption questions are not always mentioned directly in the argument

For option A, must it be the case that incumbent has won more than 80% of the election in the last 10 years for the conclusion of the challenger to be true? How about if incumbent has won it just 50% of the time? Only option E is closest to what need to be true for that conclusion to be true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
HarishD wrote:
I am confused between A and D.

I am writing what I am thinking, PLEASE CORRECT ME if I have any flaws in my thinking.

background: Studies show that only way to win is to purchase TV ad.
TV ad favors incumbents (premise) therefore it should be banned (conclusion).

(A) Incumbents have won eighty percent of the elections in Glen Isle in the last 10 years.
---- (only way to win is to purchase ad and it favors the incumbents and if they have won 80% then they must be purchasing the ad (becoz that's the single most effective way), therefore it is a premise and supports the conclusion.
---- Let's negate the statement " Incumbents have won only 10% of the elections in last 10 years, may be last election" does it destroy the conclusion? (Not sure, can someone help me here????????)

(D) Glen Isle incumbents have access to financial support in excess of that available to challengers.
----- Hence it makes the premise stronger that it favors the incumbents and it should be banned.
-----Negate the statement: If they have the same money then TV ad will not favor anyone and should not be banned.

I am more inclined towards D­

I do not think negating option D destroy the conclusion of the argument either.

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65186 [2]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
­Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that the single most effective way for politicians to win votes is to purchase expensive television advertising. A candidate challenging the incumbent for a seat on the town council has argued that the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents and therefore that political television advertising should be banned in Glen Isle.

The challenger's conclusion logically depends on which of the following assumptions?

(B) Some incumbent candidates in Glen Isle have been able to win votes by organizing frequent political rallies.

(C) Not all challengers in Glen Isle are skilled political fundraisers.

(E) Banning political television advertising is not unconstitutional.

This is a CR Butler Question

­

­
An assumption is required to be necessarily true for the conclusion to hold. 

Challenger's Premise:
the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents

Challenger's Conclusion: 
political television advertising should be banned in Glen Isle.

What needs to be necessarily true for the conclusion to hold?

Does it need to be true for the conlcusion to hold? No. It has nothing to do with the conclusion. It only gives us further data to show that the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents.

We do not need this to be true for the conclusion to hold. 
It gives a possible reason why "the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents" but does this need to be the reason? No. What if challengers have more money  but incumbents have influence such that they get priority when advertising slots are sold? So this option needn't even be the reason why the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents.

Correct. When someone says, "Do A," what is the inherent assumption there? That A is not unconstitutional/illegal (we live in a civil society). Otherwise the challenger would not say so. If "A" were unconstitutional, then his conclusion would break. Then one cannot do A. 

Answer (E)­ (Let me add here, "As per me" - The OA is yet to be revealed.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
­Studies of voting patterns in the town of Glen Isle have shown that the single most effective way for politicians to win votes is to purchase expensive television advertising. A candidate challenging the incumbent for a seat on the town council has argued that the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents and therefore that political television advertising should be banned in Glen Isle.

The challenger's conclusion logically depends on which of the following assumptions?

(B) Some incumbent candidates in Glen Isle have been able to win votes by organizing frequent political rallies.

­

­

Challenger's Premise:

Challenger's Conclusion: 

Does it need to be true for the conlcusion to hold? No. It has nothing to do with the conclusion. It only gives us further data to show that the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents.

It gives a possible reason why "the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents" but does this need to be the reason? No. What if challengers have more money  but incumbents have influence such that they get priority when advertising slots are sold? So this option needn't even be the reason why the importance of television advertising inherently favors incumbents.

Correct. When someone says, "Do A," what is the inherent assumption there? That A is not unconstitutional/illegal (we live in a civil society). Otherwise the challenger would not say so. If "A" were unconstitutional, then his conclusion would break. Then one cannot do A. 

Exactly. What A does is, it slightly strengthen the conclusion and it is never an assumption that must be true for that conclusion to hold

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q90 V80 DI85
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

­

­

Challenger's Premise:

Challenger's Conclusion: 

­
Hmm,,, it seems answer is D,,,  ­ What are your thoughts on this question?­
MartyMurray

Originally posted by EDDIE98 on 25 Apr 2024, 02:01.
Last edited by EDDIE98 on 25 Apr 2024, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 390
Send PM
KarishmaB I think this is a flawed question...More over not an official one..So we can just let it be...I was a bit tensed initially..Normally my CR accuracy is very high ..My gmat is days away..Hope I will be able to surpass my previous 570...
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

­

­

Challenger's Premise:

Challenger's Conclusion: 

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

EDDIE98 wrote:
Hmm,,, it seems answer is D,,, ­@MartyMurray What are your thoughts on this question?

Let's first take a look at the argument.

The conclusion is the following:

political television advertising should be banned in Glen Isle

The support for the conclusion is the following:

Now, here's (D):

Notice that that argument does not require (D). After all, even if incumbents do NOT have access to more financial support, it could be that the importance of television advertising still somehow favors incumbents and that, therefore, political television advertising should be banned in Glen Isle.

After all, it could be television advertising favors incumbents for a reason not related to financial support.

So, (D) does not state a necessary assumption and is not a correct answer.

The answer that works best is (E), but (E) doesn't really work the way an assumption does in a GMAT CR question.

So, this question doesn't really work.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

­

­

Challenger's Premise:

Challenger's Conclusion: 

­

Hi the OA is D, but my thought process was same as yours and chose E
So if possible can you explain why E may be wrong?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts