Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 09:19 It is currently 05 May 2024, 09:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
positive soul wrote:
Thanks you guys. I am definitely enjoying Wharton, although I have had a lot of work for the last couple of weeks.

Professor, I want to thank you for all your posts. You are one of the reasons I improved my math skills.

PS

Thank you, positive soul, for your nice words.

Goodluck and stay tuned.

Professor
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATULATIONS positive soul!!
Your success journey is the hottest in this forum these days!!
It is really inspiring!!

Do you mind sharing your profile (e.g., background, exp...etc)?
How many languages can you speak? Are most candidates to this program multi-lingual?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Very Much Inspired. [#permalink]
Congratulations and good for you. I am just starting out my
GMAT prep and was bummed out with my 550 score on PR Cat 1.
After reading your post, I am inspired to take the bull by it's horn and ride it.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
What an inspiring story. Harvard and Columbia are STUPID in not accepting you. Someone with your kind of persistence and dedication is EXACTLY the type of person I would like to work with.

Hats off !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
holy crap, just read this thread and i must say that i am amazed. just another example of how much hard work can pay off.

congrats congrats congrats
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [0]
Send PM
Re: From 420 to 700....... It is good to be part of the 700 [#permalink]
Wow!

Congrats!! Very inspiring!

Please, do post your debfrief, can`t wait to read it =)

Warton was/is my dream school! 'Was' before I read your story =)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
 Q35  V28
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great post and real inspiration. I scored a 530 and I know I can do better... and I will.. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: From 420 to 700....... It is good to be part of the 700 Club [#permalink]
What a man... what a soul... positive soul :)

Can you tell us how is life at Wharton? if you didn't forget us :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Life at Wharton is fun but stressful. The program is set up in a way that you really...really need to manage your time wisely. I does not help to be doing the Lauder program as well. For those of you applying to Wharton, I would recommend to check out the Lauder program. It really makes a difference. It is more international that the Wharton program and gives you the opportunity to interact with truly international people that speak many languages and live and worked all over the world. It is a great complement to the Wharton curriculum.

At Wharton, there is also a LOT of extracurricular activities from sports intramurals, community service, clubs. In other words, it is amazing the spectrum of things you can do here. Wharton people are very active so it is not unusual being an active member of 3 or 4 clubs. They take a lot of time so in order to keep up with you school load and the activities, you only get to sleep 4 to 5 hours per day. luckily, Fridays are off there is always a conference or event that is so interesting, you end up attending.

Overall, Wharton is great and I highly recommend it. If you have any specific questions, send me an email.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Positive Soul for sharing your GMAT success story. You have showed me that it is possible to go from 420 to 700!

I did my GMAT on 29th Feb and scored badly - 500/38th (Q39/57th, V21/24%, E4.5/49%). In my last 4 months preparation, I typically scored 600-700 range, averagely 630. To see a 500 score on the actual day was a great demotivator. I have since picked myself up and with some words of encouragements from wife and a friend, I am re-energising myself with a better strategy. My friend sent me this thread and it is so good for me to read this post and be inspired.

I looked back at what were the mistakes I have made. In Quant, my weaknesses were Inequalities and Combinatronics. In total, I had 5 questions on these two. Those questions haunted me till end of of the Quant section; hence, also affected my performance in Verbal. Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension were my Verbal killers. Affected by Quant, I would not register what I read.

Anyway, I am back to my drawing board again. I read a few strategies from those who scored 700+ and will internalise those tips. I will be an active participant in this forum :) I am looking for a GMAT mentor. Any volunteer(s) highly appreciated.

The areas I want to focus are: Quant - inequalities, probabilities, combinatronics, divisibility/prime factorisation (I am okay on the rest of quant). As for Verbal - critical reasoning.

Cheers
Jimmy Low

P/S: Short intro: I am Jimmy, 34 chinese male from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Graduated from Australia and presently working in a leading mobile operator in Malaysia.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is a very inspiring story..but also makes me do a "gut-check." I am a 2007 grad from Ohio Wesleyan University (Delaware, OH) who is starting to study for the GMAT. I work at (what I call) a temporary job, and find myself with a lot of "down-time." Thus, I decided to make the most of my time and bought study guides, etc. for the GMAT. Thought this story is inspiring, it also forces me to ask the questions of "am I too young?"

Any advice ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
Take your time to prepare, say 1 year. At the same time, accumulate your work experience and chart a clear career path. Once you are ready to do MBA, you don't have to rush to do GMAT. There is no such thing as "young" in GMAT :) (although I believe there is a minimum age to take the test)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jimmy,

Thank you for the advice! I'm just starting to figure out things (such as grad programs, schools, career path, etc.) and have set a path of appx. two years to travel, experience, fill out applications..all that jazz. I'm really going to concentrate on the GMAT and set a goal-score for myself. I'm only 23, I feel like I have a sense of direction and ambition for the future.

Thanks again and good luck in the future!

Drea
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
positive soul wrote:
Life at Wharton is fun but stressful. The program is set up in a way that you really...really need to manage your time wisely. I does not help to be doing the Lauder program as well. For those of you applying to Wharton, I would recommend to check out the Lauder program. It really makes a difference. It is more international that the Wharton program and gives you the opportunity to interact with truly international people that speak many languages and live and worked all over the world. It is a great complement to the Wharton curriculum.

At Wharton, there is also a LOT of extracurricular activities from sports intramurals, community service, clubs. In other words, it is amazing the spectrum of things you can do here. Wharton people are very active so it is not unusual being an active member of 3 or 4 clubs. They take a lot of time so in order to keep up with you school load and the activities, you only get to sleep 4 to 5 hours per day. luckily, Fridays are off there is always a conference or event that is so interesting, you end up attending.

Overall, Wharton is great and I highly recommend it. If you have any specific questions, send me an email.

very useful info.
thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 311 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Darden School of Business (Class of 2012)
Send PM
This is the best post I ´ve read about the success in the Gmat... Awesome, congrats!

I know you must be very busy now.

Just wonder if you could give us some examples of your point:

e) "I decided to learn from the GMAT questions ...For every SINGLE question, I would analyze each answer and find WHY it was right and WHY the other 4 were wrong...Depending on the question, you could eliminate the wrong answers by knowing your scope (even in math) and identifying how GMAT tries to trick you..."

How can you identify the patterns of the wrong and good answers? In some reading comprehension questions I understand that there are bytes in the answers (For example they asked about which theory is supported by the author and one answer is the contrary, etc., but in Math?

How can you identify the patterns for the wrong/good answers in Math?

Many tks in advance, and congrats again, you did it man!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q29  V18 GMAT 2: 310  Q18  V14 GMAT 3: 440  Q30  V19
GPA: 2.04
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, I just got this link from my recent post "I gave up.... 440 () 3rd time" and can't help but feel inspired, the test felt so easy when I took it, and I couldn't believe my score. I am still getting over it, I took it yesterday, I would look to get into Fuqua B school, but I still got a long wayz to go. So this story really inspires me to keep at it.
Thaks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
you are right tigershahkhan, this post is really inspiring.

Winners Never quit, Quitters never win :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderator:
Founder
37387 posts