Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 21:09 It is currently 04 May 2024, 21:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sad story... But I fairly believe what uvs_mba said, it's a quest that u will end nicely :) Simply don't give up :D

Sad comment also just above... I send u a PM 04blackmaxx.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81,
Its definately frustrating to realize that the load of work you put in didn't amount to much and I don't expect anyone on this board to understand exactly how you feel, but the important thing is to go back re-evaluate and come back with a better plan.
Most of us have self-doubts and frustrations... you've just got to take it and plan to do better. Otherwise, what else are you left with: an overwhelming sensation of defeat and lack of purpose. And that is never acceptable.
Take a few days off and come back with a new plan. Set a target and work more types of problems, work on basics if need be, but work with a fresh plan. There is no replacement for a good, revised plan.

Good luck...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 785 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey eazy... take it easy :lol:

I know it hurts, but isn't it 3 times a charm??? so take it one last time and then decide what to do and what school to go to... Driving off the bridge is certainly not an option!!!

Good luck!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.

I've calmed down a bit, but i'm still extremely disappointed in my performance. I just don't understand why my Quant score took such a nosedive after intense study the past three months. It would be easy to chalk it up to a hard test, but there has to be more to it than that. Obviously I still don't have solid Quant fundamentals, and i'm not sure if more studying will change that.

I'm not going to quit, but I really don't know what else I can do. I guess I can buy more books that may focus more on explaining concepts rather than simply having a lot of questions. Are the Manhattan books any good? I'm going to take a week or so off from everything GMAT related so I can clear my head and handle some personal issues I have been putting off.

I don't want to let this test beat me, but i'm just a little lost on where to go from here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazy81,

You mentioned in your post that you could go back to your job, 9-5 and forget this ever happened. So if that is possible anyway, then what's the harm in trying GMAT just one more time! You have nothing to lose except a few more hours of hard work. At the end of it, a reward may be waiting for you.

It wasn't clear to me what you're aiming - is it that you started with trying to getting into a 50+ school and then revised it to get to a top program? Are you trying to beat the GMAT *because* it's there, or because you're targetting something specific?

BTW I read a very recent good article from an adcomm/consultant about how GMAT repeats are viewed

a) Most schools ignore 1-2 repeats and take the highest score
b) Only if you take GMAT more than thrice, some may raise eyebrows. 3 attempts seem perfectly acceptable.

If 620 is personally disappointing, but is sufficient to get into a program you want, then you really can afford to put in a few more focused days and try beating the score - either way, you still have 620 to back-up. I'm speculating your motives, of course.

good luck, don't give up yet.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I completely understand your frustration with the Quant section - I'm just beginning Round 2 of GMAT Prep because I'm not letting this test win the war! I purchased Schaum's outlines for both algebra and geometry, and the Manhattan GMAT quant books (on amazon). I'm not sure if this strategy will work for you, but for me, I'm just going to take the test when I'm ready and ONLY then! So I'm going to review these books, redo the OG, do all the GMAT Club challenges, and then see how I'm scoring. I realized when taking the test that you have to know the concepts really well - such as, yes I can do problems about the mean and the median, but when I put those together, what do I really know about a data set? Also, the approach of my test prep was, well, don't really worry about the probability and combinatorics problems because you might only see one or two, and that's if you're scoring well. Well, how about question #3?! So, I just realized I need a higher competency than I had. I hope this works for you - good luck and I think if you focus on the concepts and basic principles, and then work up to the difficult problems, the Quant section can be defeated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
necromonger wrote:
eazy81,

You mentioned in your post that you could go back to your job, 9-5 and forget this ever happened. So if that is possible anyway, then what's the harm in trying GMAT just one more time! You have nothing to lose except a few more hours of hard work. At the end of it, a reward may be waiting for you.

It wasn't clear to me what you're aiming - is it that you started with trying to getting into a 50+ school and then revised it to get to a top program? Are you trying to beat the GMAT *because* it's there, or because you're targetting something specific?

BTW I read a very recent good article from an adcomm/consultant about how GMAT repeats are viewed

a) Most schools ignore 1-2 repeats and take the highest score
b) Only if you take GMAT more than thrice, some may raise eyebrows. 3 attempts seem perfectly acceptable.

If 620 is personally disappointing, but is sufficient to get into a program you want, then you really can afford to put in a few more focused days and try beating the score - either way, you still have 620 to back-up. I'm speculating your motives, of course.

good luck, don't give up yet.

You're correct in that there is nothing to lose by taking it again, but i'm a little freaked out that I will put myself out there one more time just to have the GMAT slap me back down again. I went through every Quant question in OG and Kaplan, yet my score didn't improve (in fact it went down dramatically)....what more can I do???

My initial goal was to simply obtain the minimum score to get into the top local business school in my city. At that time I didn't know anything about business school rankings, prestige, placement, etc, so I was happy to simply be in ANY business school. After I received my score on the initial test, I did some research on the internet to see if it's common for people to raise their score with additional studying and preparation. Once I found the answer I was looking for, I decided to take the plunge and do everything I could to obtain a higher GMAT and get accepted into a top business school (top 20).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatgirl wrote:
I completely understand your frustration with the Quant section - I'm just beginning Round 2 of GMAT Prep because I'm not letting this test win the war! I purchased Schaum's outlines for both algebra and geometry, and the Manhattan GMAT quant books (on amazon). I'm not sure if this strategy will work for you, but for me, I'm just going to take the test when I'm ready and ONLY then! So I'm going to review these books, redo the OG, do all the GMAT Club challenges, and then see how I'm scoring. I realized when taking the test that you have to know the concepts really well - such as, yes I can do problems about the mean and the median, but when I put those together, what do I really know about a data set? Also, the approach of my test prep was, well, don't really worry about the probability and combinatorics problems because you might only see one or two, and that's if you're scoring well. Well, how about question #3?! So, I just realized I need a higher competency than I had. I hope this works for you - good luck and I think if you focus on the concepts and basic principles, and then work up to the difficult problems, the Quant section can be defeated!

It sounds like we took similar approaches to the Quant section. I thought I had a solid base heading into the test, but my "skills" were exposed by the GMAT program. Somehow I was able to get through middle school, high school, and college math classes without a solid fundamental base, and the picking numbers strategy is not the most efficient strategy to use on a timed CAT. :)

What is Schaum's outlines? I've never heard of it. I will probably pick up most of the Manhattan Quant books next week and start studying from the beginning, hopefully they will help me learn the harder concepts of each area. I know I will be starting with Number Properties (i'm awful in NP).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
It may be that the key to your success is finding a way relax during the test. If you are worring about the hell you will put yourself through by taking it again, then maybe you can be successful if you just take the test without killing yourself with preperation. You know whether you have the basics down. If you do, then being relaxed on test day can make a huge difference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow

Originally posted by rbcola on 20 Sep 2006, 07:50.
Last edited by rbcola on 10 Jul 2008, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
It sounds like we took similar approaches to the Quant section. I thought I had a solid base heading into the test, but my "skills" were exposed by the GMAT program. Somehow I was able to get through middle school, high school, and college math classes without a solid fundamental base, and the picking numbers strategy is not the most efficient strategy to use on a timed CAT. :)

What is Schaum's outlines? I've never heard of it. I will probably pick up most of the Manhattan Quant books next week and start studying from the beginning, hopefully they will help me learn the harder concepts of each area. I know I will be starting with Number Properties (i'm awful in NP).[/quote]

Schaum's outlines are study guides for many subjects, and there are some for math. I purchased the ones for Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Geometry, and then one additional book called "Probability Demystified." I never used them (or even heard of them) in college, but they review concepts that could help out while you're going through a college course. I searched this forum and found a few posts on mistakes that were in the books, but overall they seem to give a lot of practice questions and really review fundamentals. I too am awful at number properties, so I'm hoping the Manhattan GMAT books are helpful with this. I am having the worst time getting motivated again, though. I took one week off and can't seem to get back into the studying!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37376 posts