Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 11:53 It is currently 02 May 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
vivek

I think pelihu suggests a great way to go around it. if you cannot have the recommendation withdrawn, (1) address it in the essay and (2) add a third recommendation if possible and add in the optional essay why. I dont think you should make your efforts to withdraw the essay visible to the adcoms, maybe that will force them to look at the recommendation and take it for more than what its worth.....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd have a few comments.

1. Was this intentional or did he just pick ratings from the wrong side?
2. How do you know what he submitted? Did you not waive your right to review?
3. This is evil, but I'd suggest you walk straight up to him and kick him in the nuts.
4. If you know what the recs say, and you did waive the right, then addressing them in your essays would be a bit suprising. That being said, if it is as bad as you say, maybe you have no choice.

Are you sure he picked needs improvement? Did he pick that on one thing or multiple? Which ones was that picked for?

If it makes you feel better, I waived the right to see mine and I'm nervous that may have happened to me as well for Kellogg. I saw my boss clicking the rating buttons, and I couldnt see what they were but he was clicking on the left side of the screen.

So in my head I imagine this :

Code:
                            Poor                Good             Strong              Excellent
Leadership                   X                  (  )               (  )                  (   )

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
*DING* LIGHTBULB IN MY HEAD.

1) The other rec is your immediate lead and is writing something good
2) And your previous boss' rec is the one thats weak.....
3) But it might be wierd to very specificially address the recs on your essays
4) Two very different recs are going to make the adcoms wonder. "This guy said great leadership and this guy says weak?"

You now have an essay that completely addresses the gap between the two recs, and make its about positive improvement and not negative. Here is your outline for that essay

* Worked for Boss X on project Y. [THIS IS THE BAD BOSS WHO YOU ARE GOING TO TOTALLY KICK IN THE NUTS WHEN THIS IS ALL OVER. IF YOU DON'T, LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, AND I'LL BE HAPPY TO.]
* I knew that back then my leadership and analytical skills were still in need of improvement, so I took it upon myself to A and B [THIS COULD BE EXTRACURRICULARS, A CLASS, MAYBE SOME MENTORING WITH A FRIEND, ANYTHING]
* In that time, I've moved on from that position and believe I have made very large strides in this regard. I currently work for Boss Z [THE GOOD RECOMMENDER] on project X. I am now functioning in a lead role, something that X years ago, I don't think I could have done effectively. For example, [SOME KIND OF LEADERSHIP STORY HERE OR WHATEVER SEEMS LIKE THE MOST IMPORTANT BASED ON THE REC]
* I continue to work on this issue and have in addition taken on leadership roles in X and Y. Today, I am a very different person from the one I was back then - more confident, more able and more self-aware.
* CLOSE WITH A STATEMENT ABOUT HOW K WILL HELP FURTHER YOU IN THIS REGARD

Thats it. Problemo solved, and you've

1) Addressed whats in the rec
2) Explained away the difference between the two recs so it seems logical that your ratings would have changed.
3) Never actually said you read the recs!
4) Turned something negative into something about personal growth
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vivek, this is some unfortunate news, but luckily you still have some power to manipulate the application process. The way I see it, you have multiple options.

Option #1 is a bit drastic. If possible, you could withdraw your application for R1 and resubmit in R2 with a different LOR before the admissions committee craks open your file. This will inevitably put you in a larger applicant pool, however it will also give you another month or so to approach a different supervisor/colleague or former professor who will present you in a better light. Best to showcase your talents and accolades on the first try, rather than attempt to dispute a superior's potentially detrimental remarks.

Alternatively, you might consider writing a supplemenatary essay addressing your weakness and exactly how a Kellogg MBA will help you overcome such a difficulty. Maybe go above and beyond the call of duty on this essay; I mean really pinpoint your weakness and use it to your advantage. As human beings, we all have flaws and this could be a great opportunity to use your's (at least the flaw that your supervisor claims you have) to your advantage. I recall once reading that big name schools like Harvard and Stanford actually prefer to see a well rounded applicant who has overcome a disability or serious disadvantage in life. Essentially, one who has transcended their given position through sheer perserverance and creativity. I assume Kellogg would also look favorably upon such an applicant.

Finally, if all else fails, consider a couple comparably ranked elite contingency schools for R2. This way you could control all the tangible aspects of your application because you have already aced the GMAT.

Good luck buddy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
I'd have a few comments.

1. Was this intentional or did he just pick ratings from the wrong side?
2. How do you know what he submitted? Did you not waive your right to review?
3. This is evil, but I'd suggest you walk straight up to him and kick him in the nuts.
4. If you know what the recs say, and you did waive the right, then addressing them in your essays would be a bit suprising. That being said, if it is as bad as you say, maybe you have no choice.

Are you sure he picked needs improvement? Did he pick that on one thing or multiple? Which ones was that picked for?

If it makes you feel better, I waived the right to see mine and I'm nervous that may have happened to me as well for Kellogg. I saw my boss clicking the rating buttons, and I couldnt see what they were but he was clicking on the left side of the screen.

So in my head I imagine this :

Code:
                            Poor                Good             Strong              Excellent
Leadership                   X                  (  )               (  )                  (   )

Vivek,
I have known some of my friends who have been screwed up by ex-bosses. I agree with Rhyme that if you had waived the right, then you should address that in your essays in a way that it sounds natural and not specifically dealing with a bad reco. IMO, I would not tamper with the adcom about this and just let the issue die. Try to get a third reco and explain your case in the optional essay.
Remember about your "Waive the Right" status and base your actions as even a small hint that you are conflicting the waiver may hurt you.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your words, I'm feeling better now. I find a point in addressing the issues as if I have absolutely no information about what is written in the reco.

my ex-boss didn't show me that reco but on asking over mail, he marked leadership like area as area of improvement. I'm not sure whether it's intentional since I've good relationship with me, probably he's jealous.

Rhyme, Matt, pelihu, Vij, agsfaltex, gmatmba & others, luckily my lead knows the B school process very well & he is writing recos with specific examples & in justified way, I just had a chat with him. On personal front, he has always appreciated by goals & path to MBA. I just hope that this reco makes it effective. I've one more person in mind for reco, I'm just talking to him this Sunday.

Friends,
Probably, such situation to some extent is unavoidable but I think talking to a person & understanding/preceiving what he'll write in the reco can be a good exercise...

Thank you all :) & all the best to you all!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
vivek123 wrote:

my ex-boss didn't show me that reco but on asking over mail, he marked leadership like area as area of improvement. I'm not sure whether it's intentional since I've good relationship with me, probably he's jealous.

Honestly, it did not cross my mind that he could have done it on purpose. I just assumed it was a mistake. I believe that it is considered standard business etiquitte to only agree to do a recommendation if you plan to be supportive. Otherwise, it would be appropriate to decline if asked. You usually want to find people that will support you enthusiastically, because you definitely don't want a lukewarm recommendation. A negative "recommendation"? That's just a low blow. You've got to question the character of someone that does that.

Regarding Rhyme's concern that you have seen the recommendation, I do not believe that is an issue. I think it was at the Chicago GSB reception that the Adcom said it makes no difference whether you select to see it or not. I think that they treat them the same either way - someone correct me if that is wrong.

If he did do this purposefully, I hope you get in some place great so you can rub his nose in it.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:

If he did do this purposefully, I hope you get in some place great so you can rub his nose in it.

Oh yeah, Vivek will have his day soon enough. When all is said and done, you might want to use a little reverse psychology and "thank that a$$hole superior" for helping you get into an ultra-elite program, a program that will ultimately catapault you light years beyond his unenviable dead end position. Success is always the best revenge. :lol:
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
:lol:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]