Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: GSB R1 and R2: Lets the pants pooping commence! [#permalink]
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Seems like a bit much to me, but if nothing else, you are definetly proving you want it.

"The 9 Mistakes You Do Not Want To Make On An MBA Waitlist" suggests reminding the school of your existence every 2-3 weeks.

Well there goes my Kellogg waitlist then!

Not that I'm really holding out anymore.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Seems like a bit much to me, but if nothing else, you are definetly proving you want it.

"The 9 Mistakes You Do Not Want To Make On An MBA Waitlist" suggests reminding the school of your existence every 2-3 weeks.

Well there goes my Kellogg waitlist then!

Not that I'm really holding out anymore.

Frankly, I was surprised they did not offer you full scholarship :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
What are the other 8 mistakes you don't want to make?
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
naturallight wrote:
What are the other 8 mistakes you don't want to make?

Am not sure if I can post copyrighted material here :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Naw, Pelihu tells me it's ok to post summaries and the like, as long as you're not making money. And it's always nice to cite the source. So do it
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
OK, so here are the 9 mistakes you don't want to make on an MBA waitlist from "The Nine Mistakes You Don't Want to Make on an MBA Waitlist" by Linda Abraham, founder and president of Accepted.com:

1. Ignore the instructions given to you by the school in the waitlist notice or in further correspondence
2. Be modest about your recent achievements (In Russia we say 'Modesty adornes you, when there's nothing else to adorn you' :) )
3. Hide your genuine interest in the school
4. Don't seek expressions of support from third parties
5. Plan a one-time deluge of correspondence
6. Fail to assess reasons for being waitlisted or act on an assessment
7. Complain to the school about the agony of being waitlisted
8. Provide excessive apologies or express regret about weaknesses/mistakes
9. Play schools against each other
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Quote:

Whoops.

Quote:

Whoops.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Quote:

Whoops.

Quote:

Whoops.

Nooooo... You did not, did you?

Well, as for mistake number nine, it is still acceptable to make a polite phone call to a school where you are waitlisted syaing:
- it is the deadline for submitting a deposit in school X where I was accepted in two days, but I would really love to attend YOUR school rather than X, but teh deposit is a considerable amount of money for me so could you be so kind as to check once again my waitlist status?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
On those extra recs for gsb, did you mail them in, or were you able to add another recommender through the online app?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I don't know that I agree with the recommendation of sending new correspondence every 2-3 weeks. I had people tell me not to do that and that by doing so you run the risk of annoying the Admissions people. I heard that it was better to send correpsondence every 4-6 weeks while on the Wait List.

If you send a letter every 2-3 weeks I would bet that a lot of the information you mention is redundant with what you've already mentioned in your essays, interview, and previous correspondence.

I don't know if it is true, but I heard that because the GSB is not going to review your application until all of the second round applications have been submitted, they'll end up looking at all of the correspondence you sent at once.

Moreover, because the Chicago GSB won't give you any feedback as to why they put you on the WaitList in the first place, how can you know what to emphasize?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
little.nemo wrote:
I'm going to have a phone interview with a Director of Admission of GSB tomorrow. Could anyone please share with me the questions you got during your interview?

By the way, here are my stats:

- Asian
- 5yrs experience (finance consulting) up to now
- GMAT 680, GPA ~ 3.0

Got interview invitation of Wharton and Chicago GSB.

why gsb
why mba
short term goal
long term goal

I was not asked any of those questions. The interviewer just went thru my resume and asked me whether I did this, did that, and I just said yes, yes. Then some questions to dig deeper in the resumes, and some probe up questions based on what I answered...

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
naturallight wrote:
On those extra recs for gsb, did you mail them in, or were you able to add another recommender through the online app?

No, it is not possible to add anything to your submitted online app. All extra recos went by mail.

flapjack wrote:
I don't know that I agree with the recommendation of sending new correspondence every 2-3 weeks. I had people tell me not to do that and that by doing so you run the risk of annoying the Admissions people. I heard that it was better to send correpsondence every 4-6 weeks while on the Wait List.

If you send a letter every 2-3 weeks I would bet that a lot of the information you mention is redundant with what you've already mentioned in your essays, interview, and previous correspondence.

By "new correspondence" everything that is related top your app is meant - not only your own updates but also additional recos. I would agree with you that you should not send update letters as such that often. One letter in 1 to 1.5 month will suffice.

flapjack wrote:
I don't know if it is true, but I heard that because the GSB is not going to review your application until all of the second round applications have been submitted, they'll end up looking at all of the correspondence you sent at once.

You are right about reviewing the whole application together with the second rounders, but I am sure they do make notes as to when those updates have been submitted. And they did acknowledge the receipt of the update letters I submitted.

flapjack wrote:
Moreover, because the Chicago GSB won't give you any feedback as to why they put you on the WaitList in the first place, how can you know what to emphasize?

They expect you to be smart enough to be able to assess your weaknesses and address them. Rose Martinelly said as much in Montauk's.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
little.nemo wrote:
rhyme wrote:
little.nemo wrote:
I'm going to have a phone interview with a Director of Admission of GSB tomorrow. Could anyone please share with me the questions you got during your interview?

By the way, here are my stats:

- Asian
- 5yrs experience (finance consulting) up to now
- GMAT 680, GPA ~ 3.0

Got interview invitation of Wharton and Chicago GSB.

why gsb
why mba
short term goal
long term goal

I was not asked any of those questions. The interviewer just went thru my resume and asked me whether I did this, did that, and I just said yes, yes. Then some questions to dig deeper in the resumes, and some probe up questions based on what I answered...

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

I think if interviwer does not ask you these questions directly, you should answer it one or other way. Based on my reserach, what I have found that GSB interviwer wants to know "WHY GSB" and "WHY YOU" ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
why gsb
why mba
short term goal
long term goal

Those were certainly the only 'canned' questions I got asked. The rest of the 35 minutes we just chatted about the program and extracurriculars.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
gogetter wrote:
Quote:
why gsb
why mba
short term goal
long term goal

Those were certainly the only 'canned' questions I got asked. The rest of the 35 minutes we just chatted about the program and extracurriculars.

my interviewer too did not ask me these questions.. i was suprised.. in the end he asked me if i wanted to say anything else.. i told him why gsb and why me..what will i do for gsb.. but he did not seem interested at all.. he said he hears the standard answers..........

needless to say, i was bummed.. he did not seem too interested in my answers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
willget800 wrote:
gogetter wrote:
Quote:
why gsb
why mba
short term goal
long term goal

my interviewer too did not ask me these questions.. i was suprised.. in the end he asked me if i wanted to say anything else.. i told him why gsb and why me..what will i do for gsb.. but he did not seem interested at all.. he said he hears the standard answers..........

To me she phrased "WHY GSB" like this.... "You have been to GSB so many times, what you like about GSB".....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
willget800 wrote:
gogetter wrote:
Quote:
why gsb
why mba
short term goal
long term goal

Same as mine.

The difference is this: After about 10 minutes spinning my resume, from work to extracurricular activities, the interviewer said: let me think of another question for you... I laughed over the phone when hearing this, and the other end also laughed. Then she asked me if I wanted to say anything, anything is ok. I laughed again (thinking that this interviewer didn't prepare well in advance what to ask me and now she don't know how to use up the 30 minutes), and I asked her whether I should tell her about my future goals (she hadn't asked about it). She was happy when I mentioned this (because she forgot to ask about it, I guessed). Then it's done with my answering part. She asked me whether I wanted to ask her anything. I got 3 questions and she answered them in a manner like an automatic answering machine, plus a yawn over the phone.

Don't know what the outcome will be.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts