Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 03:18 It is currently 05 May 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
manan wrote:
Deatr Linda,

I took the GMAT couple of days back and scored a 720(Q-50, V-38).

Well as for majors, I am keen on entrepreneurship or getting into marketing for media/communications.

Please guide me now that you have my profile anad also the actual GMAT score. Also should I think of taking the GMAT again?

Regards,
Manan

I have a few questions:

What have you been doing profesisonally?
Where did you go to college and what was your major and grade point average?
Are you in the US? Do you prefer to do your MBA in the US or elsewhere? If the latter where?
Do you have any community service? If so what? Any international experience?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear Linda,

I will provide you a point by point answer for all your queries.

<What have you been doing profesisonally?>
I have outlined my responsibility in the first post in this thread. To give you a clearer picture, however, I am also attaching my resume. Hope that will help

<Where did you go to college and what was your major and grade point average? >
Please refer to my resume for the same.

<Are you in the US? Do you prefer to do your MBA in the US or elsewhere? If the latter where?>

No. I am in India.
US is my first preference. Other schools I am targetting outside US are IMD, Insead and IESE

<Do you have any community service? If so what? >
I have been a voluntary blood donor for the last 4 years. Apart from that I have been involved with orgainizing fund raisers and collection/awarenes drives for a local charity that works for the upliftment of street children.(kindly refer my first post)

Any international experience?
As of now... nothing but I will be deputed to US for six months January next year.

I hope I have been able to answer your questions satisfactorily. Please refer to my first post and resume and kindly let me know what realistically are my chances of making it to a top 10 school in US.
Should I wait for a year or will it help to have a higher GMAT score? Please let me know if there are any minor gaps I could work on before I apply. In short please feel free to critique my profile the way you want to.

Awaiting your valuable response.

Warm Regards,
Manan
Attachments

manan-resume-Monitor.doc [68.5 KiB]
Downloaded 186 times

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

My main issues would be the duration of work experience and level of international exposure. These seem to be especially important for the European elite schools like IMD.

Best,

Hjort
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
manan wrote:
Deatr Linda,

I took the GMAT couple of days back and scored a 720(Q-50, V-38).

Well as for majors, I am keen on entrepreneurship or getting into marketing for media/communications.

Please guide me now that you have my profile anad also the actual GMAT score. Also should I think of taking the GMAT again?

Regards,
Manan

Manan,

First of all I owe you an apology for my initial curt response to this post. I simply didn't realize that you had provided the information in an earlier post. I'm sorry. Thanks also for the additional information.

No you should not retake the GMAT with a 720 and the breakdown you provided above. Schools you should consider: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke, Columbia, NYU, CHicago, Michigan, UCLA, and Haas. Look into USC and UT as safeties.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear Linda,

Thanks a lot for the input. The only major concern I have is the duration of my work-ex. Keeping that in mind how competitive would my profile be at Wharton/Kellogg/Columbia?

Among the schools that you have listed, would it be possible for you to narrow down 3-4 schools- most likely to consider my profile favourably?

Also which is the most dependable college ranking(US News/Business Week/FT)?

I know I have been asking a lot of questions and am really thankful to you for your time.

Regards,
Manan
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
UCLA Anderson comes to mind as an elite school that is especially strong in entrepreneurship and has strong media connections.

Best,

Hjort
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
manan wrote:
Dear Linda,

Thanks a lot for the input. The only major concern I have is the duration of my work-ex. Keeping that in mind how competitive would my profile be at Wharton/Kellogg/Columbia?

Among the schools that you have listed, would it be possible for you to narrow down 3-4 schools- most likely to consider my profile favourably?

Also which is the most dependable college ranking(US News/Business Week/FT)?

I know I have been asking a lot of questions and am really thankful to you for your time.

Regards,
Manan

With 3 years of work experience you would be on the young side at CBS and Kellogg, but not ridiculously so. Lack of work experience would be more of an issue at Wharton, although considering the breadth of your experience it isn't out of the question, just a less likely admit.

I would recommend you apply to 4-6 schools over the first and second rounds. If I were to narrow down the list of schools for you to consider, I would include Columbia, Chicago, UCLA, UT, USC, and Michigan.

Although US News tends to mirror most common perception, I wouldn't look at it as "best" or the others as inferior. They each measure different criteria. US News quantifies certain criteria, like GMAT scores and GPA among other factors and surveys b-school deans. BW surveys b-schools customers: students, recent alumni, and recruiters. FT takes a more global view with perhaps a Euro-centric focus. So recognize that none of them are a truly objective all-round ranking. But each reflects different criteria. Understand the criteria and then use the rankings accordingly to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the schools relative to each other.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Linda. Thanks Hjort.

Your advice has been most helpful.

Regards,
Manan