Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 06:47 It is currently 20 May 2024, 06:47
13.3 years
Viet Nam
Female
Score: 680 GMAT Classic
GPA: 3.07
Pre-MBA industry: Consumer Products
Post-MBA industry: Consulting
13 years of diverse experience in managing both external and internal business matters.
- 7 years in Marketing (Deputy Head of Marketing, Automotive Global Brand)
- 2 years in Supply Chain Management & Business Analysis (Deputy Head of CEO's Office)
- 2 years in HR (Head of HR)
- 2 years in general management (Family business)

Goals: developing global competence and perspective + networking
Olin St. Louis
Full Time MBA
2 months ago
Round 2
AcceptedMar 3, 24
Scholarship75%
Owen Vanderbilt
Full Time MBA
2 months ago
Round 2
AcceptedMar 13, 24
Scholarship75%
Comments (4 comments)
03 Oct 2023, 17:41
Hi, Vietnamese applicant here, would love to connect with you
29 Sep 2023, 10:45
Hey! Another member from Vietnam. Welcome. It seems this is the year of Vietnam 👍😎

I think you have a very strong profile and it’s a bummer you score maxed out at 650. at the same time, with 13 years of full-time work experience, you will be making some of the admissions officers slightly concerned about the value of their business school can add. it’s not that they do not want you. They would all love to have you as a part of their class because you’d be such a strong contributor, they would be more concerned about recruiting at their program.

Frankly, I think you’ll get into all of these schools. The challenge will be getting the right job and fit for you. Traditional recruiting path out of business school is mid management at best. While tech p.m. jobs pay quite a bit, they’re not that senior. You’re starting out pretty much at the bottom of the tech PM field. Recruiting straight into a mid or senior management requires referrals and connections. Not in the weird sense but in the sense that somebody needs to vouch for you Because it’s a big risk for employers to recruit someone without a track record within the industry.

Have you considered the Sloan fellows and Stanford MSX? We are shorter full-time programs for experienced professionals. I don’t know about their average GMAT scores something to research potentially…. At the same time, those programs would not provide a scholarship. These schools you’re applying to would likely offer money.
29 Sep 2023, 12:55
Thank you, BB, for your insightful feedback! I hope to continue receiving your support for my case, as I am aware it is not a typical one.

** Why Full-time MBA:
I'm a high performer who has reached a plateau in the local labor market. I aim to enhance myself by thriving in the global working environment. To achieve further progress, I need to acquire more skills, knowledge, and expand my network, all of which can be offered by an MBA. Full-time STEM MBA with 3 years of working after graduation will be a great opportunity for me to fulfill my expectations.

I have switched 2-3 managerial roles within the automotive industry (Marketing / Business Analysis / HR), so I'm not doubted to switch functions OR industries (not both of them at the same time). I aimed to Market Analysis or Business Analysis function in some Tech companies which are developing AI/Cloud services/products for Automotive industry.

But if Tech industry is not a good idea, should I consider hiring a career orientation consultation before I begin preparing my essays?

** GMAT Score:
I achieved Q49, IR 8 and V29. I plan to take GMAT FOCUS multiple times in November and December.
+ According to ESR, the primary factor contributing to my low verbal score was a weak performance in SC, which will no longer be included in GMAT FOCUS.
+ IR (the section that I got 8) will be included in new GMAT edition.
+ I took a GMAT focus mock test on MBA.com and scored 645 (89% percentile).
I wonder if gaining admission to those schools will significantly improve if I can achieve the similar score in the actual exam?

Sincerely thank you for your help and your time!
29 Sep 2023, 13:18
My pleasure! I think GMAT focus is a good idea. It has fewer quantitative elements.

In terms of your career and getting some guidance, my recommendation would be to get in touch with current students who are looking for jobs and who have their fingers on the pulse of the job market. I have a feeling after two phone calls you’ll get a very clear idea about opportunities as well as obstacles you should be preparing to face.

I would recommend listening very carefully and astutely to what they have to say. Careful in the sense that they will never tell you that their business school is terrible and they made the worst decision in their life but they will provide some indication of challenges and signal to you. It will be up to you to pick up on those signals and either know them or make a mistake and ignore them. I’m not saying that you should not do an NBA or anything like that, I’m saying that they may recommend a different program in a roundabout way.

I did not mean to say that tech is a bad idea. I feel the challenges you will face will be very similar across industries. It is easier to recruit into the same industry you came from however because your work experience will get more credit and more recognition. However 70 or 80% of business school students change the career and they get an MBA for exactly the same reason you are pursuing it.

Let me know if I’m misunderstood anything 😇
03 Oct 2023, 17:41
Hi, Vietnamese applicant here, would love to connect with you