Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 12:00 It is currently 19 May 2024, 12:00
4.6 years
Korea, Republic of
Female
Score: 655 GMAT Focus
GPA: 3.27
Pre-MBA industry: Consulting
Post-MBA industry: Venture Capital
4.5 years in consulting at Big 4 accounting firm.
looking to change my career into social impact VC and change my location if it’s possible.
Top 10 Undergrad from Korea, never been to US.
Columbia
Full Time MBA
7 days ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 4, 24
DeniedApr 23, 24
Fuqua
Full Time MBA
7 days ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 9, 24
InterviewedFeb 25, 24
AcceptedMay 10, 24
Scholarship25%
Stern
Full Time MBA
7 days ago
Round 1
InterviewedMay 7, 24
Johnson (Cornell)
Full Time MBA
7 days ago
Round 3
Invited to interviewMay 3, 24
Kellogg
Full Time MBA
7 days ago
Round 3
AcceptedMay 8, 24
ScholarshipNone
Ross Michigan
Full Time MBA
7 days ago
Round 3
AcceptedMay 3, 24
Scholarship25%
Anderson
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 4, 24
DeniedMar 19, 24
Yale
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 4, 24
DeniedMar 26, 24
Booth
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 4, 24
InterviewedFeb 11, 24
WaitlistedMar 21, 24
Tuck
Full Time MBA
2 months ago
Round 2
InterviewedJan 21, 24
DeniedMar 14, 24
Sloan MIT
Full Time MBA
2 months ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 16, 24
DeniedFeb 24, 24
Comments (4 comments)
14 Mar 2024, 20:48
14 Mar 2024, 19:31
Wow. Lots of WL's - I am sorry. Not sure what's been up this year. I have seen Asian applicants have a lot more luck in LBS/INSEAD than mid-tier US Programs. Sorry about Tuck :(

P.S. The score is a bit on the lower side for your pier group perhaps. Also, not sure if you put Impact investing into the goals in the essays. That's a tough spot to get into (lots of competition and very few openings) - thinks like that also have impact on chances unfortunately.
14 Mar 2024, 19:56
Hi, thanks for the reply :)
I could retake GMAT but I got 94% for that score. Worried it won’t make any difference if I get like 96%.
Also, I put impact investing in my essay. I didn’t know that my goal could be a minus point. But I do have back-up plan of going back to consulting, but in US if possible. Would additional essay describing plan B help?
14 Mar 2024, 20:47
So, waitlist is like a chaos. You can throw anything and everything at it and you never know what’s going to work. We do have a series of post about waitlist and how to get off a waitlist from this exact time a year ago and we have interviewed a former admissions Director in the top 15 university, and she basically said that there’s not much you can do to get off the waitlist. Your course and trajectory have already been set and getting off the list is not likely to be determined by any updates you can provide. Quite dark and futile I have to say and I have to think it has to be brighter than that… 🥴

Getting a marginally higher score makes no sense. You need 695 in focus to make an impact and the difference.

Writing an essay about Plan B, I cannot see how it would hurt but all you will do is just write an essay and anyone else can do that as well. Basically, any low effort will result into low impact.

In terms of your goals impacting your chances, that is a real consideration. Imagine you put a lofty goal that’s going to be hard to achieve and admissions perceives that you have a high chance of failure. If you fail, you will be unhappy, you will be unthankful to the program, and you will not be a very good alumni they couldn’t blame you for that but they can find someone with a better fit. Similarly, if you have a lofty goal, it may mean you haven’t quite done enough research to know what’s real and again your expectation may be too high and they don’t want to Disappoint you. Admissions love very safe candidates. They want to consultant getting an MBA and going back to consulting. We have had people apply multiple years in a row and get much better results after changing their goals and demonstrating much better fit for the MBA degree into their career path and trajectory, and getting much better admission results.
14 Mar 2024, 20:48