Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 10:30 It is currently 20 May 2024, 10:30
8.3 years
India
Score: 730 GMAT Classic
GPA: 2.2
Pre-MBA industry: Investment Banking
Post-MBA industry: Investment Banking
have about 9 ish years of experience 2.5 in teach 6.5 in investment banking + corp-dev. reasonably large transactions valued at ~$1bn+ . Currently on a medical break post fiancé's medical emergency. Want to get back into investment banking.

Extra-Curriculars - mentorship for examinations like the CFA, GMAT, mentor junior associate, organize workshops for low-income families. Part of family trust, award small checks to social workers helping bring change to the village grandparents are from

GMAT - old 730, retake focus - 715,
Rejections - Kellogg, Duke, Cornell, NYU stern
Accepted - McCombs , Georgetown, Fletcher's

i'll be 33 soon, i'm a little disappointed i didn't get into a marquee program. Is it wise for me to apply again? i'm in the process of getting back into full-time work, maybe that hurt my chances? i was working only part-time last year. Would love your opinions
Booth
Full Time MBA
1 month ago
Round 2
DeniedJan 31, 24
Comments (6 comments)
20 Apr 2024, 01:13
Yup, i'm inclined to take McCombs. It's a tad bit unfortunate i have to go back to being an associate in IB. But i'm confident of using my experience to make it in the transaction space. Thank you once again, and lets see how it goes.
19 Apr 2024, 20:42
Sorry about the rough road. That 715 is an awesome score - that's a 760 equivalent!
I have known another candidate who was about your age and got into Booth... many years ago.

It is good have applied to a range of programs and received consistent results. not great results but it is a data point you can use. The schools clearly did not think they were a good fit for you or vice versa. Most often for such strong candidates as yourself, this is likely because they did not feel comfortable with your post MBA goals and how they would help. perhaps having a PT job (not having a FT job was misinterpreted). Not sure if you have written a letter about it to clarify - schools like people who work 2 jobs (unless you are rich enough at that point) because that signals to them that a person is going to work double hard and will find employment super easily after graduation.

I am assuming you worked with a consultant? If so, I would get their opinion. If not, I would get one to review your details (for $300-500 ) and give you an idea why. Perhaps have 2 different ones review and give you an idea of what kept you out and what it will take to succeed. Those were the only red flags I could see potentially (and they may have been covered, I just don't know) but to summarize them:
1. Post MBA goal
2. PT employment

In terms of your dilemma - it really dpeends on what you were hoping to get out of the MBA. You have a very strong profile for some of the lower ranked schools so I hope they gave you some $$ but they will be quite barren when it comes to IB recruiting most likely and you will stick out as a sore thumb among the HBS, Booth, and even Darden folks. I would probably make the decision after speaking with a few consultants and getting their feedback. Don't think it is a waste as certainty is worth quite a bit these days and you will have certainty about whether you should take the bird in the hand or pursue a few in the sky.

-BB
20 Apr 2024, 01:03
Dee & BB many thanks for your thoughts, i really appreciate it. I think i gave the adcom many reasons to disqualify me, this is my assumption. Low CGPA, gaps in employment, away from FT work. I applied with a 730 and only in late march retook the GMAT. I used a consultant last year , even though i didn't apply and used those essays as a reference. I had to rush through the applications, didnt spend enough time talking to students from marquee colleges and maybe that reflects in my essays. I did speak to students at McCombs and they do seem to have enough opportunities for IB(energy in Houston) and rarer cases of IB in NY. I'd be quite happy to do M&A consulting an/or Corp-dev roles at tech companies too. I just want access to the transactions job market, my partner is moving to the US soon for her post-doc. Right now, i'm inclined to take McCombs, they seem to be moving up the ladder in terms of rankings etc. There's just this voice at the back of my head, i went to a marquee university for undergrad and my goal was to either get into Cornell or Duke. Alas, thanks once again. i have some thinking to do, is the Columbia Jan intake useful for someone getting into IB? i hear its near impossible without an IB internship
20 Apr 2024, 01:08
Re Columbia Jan intake, you already know the answer - no internship. Given that you are changing geographies, the need for a meaningful internship (and to convert that into an offer) cannot be underestimated. If I were you, given the odds, I would remind myself of the 'bird in hand' adage and move on.
20 Apr 2024, 01:13
Yup, i'm inclined to take McCombs. It's a tad bit unfortunate i have to go back to being an associate in IB. But i'm confident of using my experience to make it in the transaction space. Thank you once again, and lets see how it goes.
19 Apr 2024, 20:57
"To go now or try again" is a tough and risky trade off. If you decide to try again next year, your age and work experience would have increased further (assuming it was one of the issues for Kellogg, etc.). From IB to IB was a very plausible direction - so I do not think that was a cause of concern to the marquee schools. If you used the relevant sections to convincingly explain the gaps and life situations, then that also could not have been a reason of concern (and both these 'ifs' are big 'ifs'). If none of the schools where you have admission will get you into IB, and that was the goal you presented in the applications, then rethink your motivations to have applied to them in the first place.

To go now or try again - will remain your decision and yours alone.

- Dee (admissions consultant)
19 Apr 2024, 21:01
Thank you for adding your take and advice!